Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #1

Yes, this topic has been kicked around before, but I'd value the opinion of the group.

We're going to the FMCA rally in St. Paul this weekend and I'm thinking of having Progressive Industries hardwire one of their surge/spike protector systems into our 08 MADP.

Do you have one? Is it worth the money? Opinions?

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #2

Yes, this topic has been kicked around before, but I'd value the opinion of the group.

We're going to the FMCA rally in St. Paul this weekend and I'm thinking of having Progressive Industries hardwire one of their surge/spike protector systems into our 08 MADP.

Do you have one? Is it worth the money? Opinions?

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #3

With all the expensive electronics in a coach like yours I think it would be money well spent.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We had one installed at the rally in Redmond last year and it has saved me three times already. Money well spent!
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #5

Would suggest having it plug removable/hardwired as we know of two that had to be removed(which is no easy task).
Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Smart move. I installed the Progressive 50 amp hardwired model about a year ago and it has responded 4 times...1 high and 3 lows.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Highly recommend having a surge guard/protector of some brand installed. My personal preference is manufactured by Progressive Industries. Hard wire or portable is a matter of a combination of personal preference and space available.

I was in a campground in Boise ID for 4 days a couple of weeks ago, each day there was a high voltage condition on one leg of the campground power, my Progressive Industries surge protector activated to protect the coach from this condition. With all of the electronics in these new coaches you are taking a chance of some real expensive damage to those electronics without one. IMO money well spent, the alternative could really be expensive.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #8

I agree with all the above post. Had one installed last year at Gillette WY and it has saved us during one low voltage, one high voltage, and one bad shore power breaker switch that was causing the electricity to go on and off very quickly. The surge protector will not allow this happen as it has a build in delay.

Worth every penny you pay for it.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #9

I seem to remember another RV'r telling me he had a Progressive unit that worked on more than one amp power. His was portable, hooked up at the pedestal. Anyone confirm this? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I installed one. It's documented on my Web Site

Had Newmar not installed a metal plate and/or left a little extra wire it would have only taken a couple of hours to install. But, I had to make a mounting bracket. I installed mine so the coach is protected from generator and shore power.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skipper 05MA:
I seem to remember another RV'r telling me he had a Progressive unit that worked on more than one amp power. His was portable, hooked up at the pedestal. Anyone confirm this? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also see this thread

hardwired (just like above)

portable

best of both worlds (dav5942 from gary)
Old 07-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #12

Also consider getting the extra remote so that you can read the current info and error codes from inside the coach. We wired ours to the telephone outlet since we knew we would never use it for a wired telephone and it was already there. Just plugged it in & screwed it to the outlet behind the passenger seat. Although it is vertical it is easy to see and monitor without having to go to the electrical bay.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Radioman, I guess you can see from these posts "you should not leave home without it". I to will be in St Paul this week, maybe I will see you at the progressive booth since Donna gave me a great idea. My phone jack is right there in the electrical compartment too. Thanks Donna.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Radioman, I guess you can see from these posts "you should not leave home without it". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't quite go as far as saying it is totally necessary, after all most every electrical and electronic part of todays coach have some sort of voltage protection built in. In fact having had voltage spikes(and continuous voltage) from as low as 60 to as high as 280 for over 4 years from my genny on the boat-never lost anything(finally did get the problem fixed-no thanks to the manufacturer or dealer). The real concern is lighning and hot neutral leads which can wipe out a lot of equipment in a heartbeat.