Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

Propane Alarm

So we were having a nice peaceful sleep the other night in the MH when at about 2:30 AM (of course) the propane detector alarm starts sounding. I silenced the alarm but it would always start up again within 20 to 30 seconds. So in order to have some quiet I pulled the detector out of the wall and yanked the inline fuse. I couldn't smell any propane but went out and shut it off anyways. I thought great, one more thing to check out when we return home again. Next day I turned the propane back on and still couldn't smell any so I figured we're good for now. Now here is where things go weird. A few days later while we are still out I decide to pop the fuse back in to see what happens. To my amazement the thing works fine and has been now for almost 2 weeks. Has this ever happened to anyone here? Do these things have an expiry date? This one is 12 years old now. I may let a little propane out of the portable BBQ to see if this thing still actually works, as I'm not sure how else to test it. Any other ideas? Looking forward to any stories anyone may have.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Community Administrator

That alarm owes you nothing. Average life is between 5-7 years. I would change it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #3

Propane detectors should be changed out every 5 years. Look on the back of yours and you will see the manufacturing date. I recently replaced mine when it started going crazy for no apparent reason and that's when I learned of their reliable life expectancy. Its manufacturing date was Sept of '08. Replacement was easy only 2 wires involved, however there may be a physical size difference that may require mounting modifications.

Dan
Old 09-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check your house batteries to be sure they're not sulfating. Our alarm did the same thing, finally discovered we had a bad cell in one battery and it was just enough with the coach closed up to set off the alarm.
Also if you have a pet on board, these things have been known to go off when Fido or Fluffy "emits" nearby. Happened to us once.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane