Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #15

One of the appliances that I kind of knew I was going to have to repair/replace was thw frig.It smelled badly of ammonia and I learned early on when a RV has not been in use for awhile-the frig generally goes bad.The mh I have is a 1981 winnebago warrior 20'er.It has a Norcold model # 774R in it stock.The 774R opening is 33 1/8" X 22" x 21 1/2".I was told no one repairs the old style ammonia frig's anymore.(Not sure about that).Nocold said in there cross's the replacememt frig is model#N400/N400.3 and that these made not be a direct fit to the cut out size.The N400/N400.3 size for the cut out is 36 9/16" x 23 11/16" x 24 and is a three way.(propane,A/C,D/C.)Costs are big bucks for this.During my research I found a Dometic that has a cut out size the same as the norcold N400's and is only A/C,propane.(not d/c)The Dometic model is RM2425.This has a selling price of around $900.00

This is as far as I have gotten in my research and I wanted to see if any of you fine folks had any thoughts on this subject.

I am located in Roch,NY.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #16

Bump.Plse read the post before this and reply.
Thanks,Gary
Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
Cubey,

I don't believe it is illegal OR unsafe to drive with the propane on anywhere except in certain tunnels. We run our refrigerator while driving and only turn it off for refueling and filling the propane.

Question. How do Alt Fuel (propane) cars
manage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having driven those propane fueld vans for many years across the continent I can suggest that when bosrding a vessel you have to shut off the fuel after parking! No other problems. Great fuel!
Ian
Old 07-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #18

If you have dual propane tanks with an automatic change over regulator and propane in both tanks, you have a built in propane leak detector! Remember the propane system operates on only 11 inches of water pressure. So the regulator Red/Green flag is quite sensitive to pressure changes.

Turn OFF ALL propane appliances at the appliance itself, open both propane tank valves, the regulator indicator should be GREEN, close both propane tank valves.

Take a break and have a brew or two of your choice.

A few hours later check the regulator, if it is still green you don't have a leak, if it is red you have a leak somewhere in the system. That is, between the appliance isolation valves and the regulator. If after a full day or more the indicator turns red you still don't have anything to worry about. Only if the regulator turns red in a short time is there a problem.

The only problem with this is if you have a slight leak at either of the tank isolation valves. This can be checked out with a bubble solution though.

As for the age-old question-

Refer on/off of propane when traveling, my theory is this.

Would you rather have Propane or Ptomaine?

Richard
Old 07-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #19

We replaced our Rv fridge with a dorm-style fridge. By removing the drawer stack under the old fridge we could add a seperate freezer unit. Both are 110vAC. I have driven 5 hours with no electric to them and all stayed cold/frozen. And this was during the summer. I bought fridge unit from Lowes and the freezer came from www.compactappliance.com

This is just what worked for us.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 AM   #20

Lorna,
I am likely confused,but in terms of running a frig going down the road,couldn't I run a 110 frig off a converter or would it need too much power?.