Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Propane Consumptions

Our new 2019 Beacon uses propane for the generator, the furnace, the hot water heater and the oven and gas stove top. We camped in it 7 nights so far, and have used the furnace and ran the generator a couple of hours and we've only used 3.2 gallons of propane. I took the two 30 lb. tanks to refill them today to be sure we had enough for our next trip....3 weeks. I'm thinking these two tanks should last me most of the summer. I bought a spare 30 lb. tank thinking I would need it but now I don't think I ever will if my trips are 6 to 8 weeks and back home. What should I expect?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #2

We 'Full Timed' with Two 30# cylinders'
Cooking, heating water, fridge cooling ----typically go 6 weeks on ONE 30#
Winter time..all above and add in furnace use.....3-4 weeks on ONE 30#
(Furnace is a HOG)

A gallon of propane has 91,600btu

Water heater....10,000/12,000btu per hour of burn time (Atwood/Suburban)
Fridge.............. 2,200btu for large fridge per hour of burn time
Furnace...........35,000/42,000btu per burn time
Stove top....one high btu burner (9000btu) 2 low btu burners (5000/ea) ..stove 1200but per hour burn time
Generator........depends on size (KW) of gen (5500W .8 gal/hour 1/2 load)

SO add up YOUR appliance btu per hour of run time and then you can get real close ball park figure on usage
30# cylinder has 7 gallons usable propane

OR when first cylinder goes empty.....go get it filled.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
We 'Full Timed' with Two 30# cylinders'
Cooking, heating water, fridge cooling ----typically go 6 weeks on ONE 30#
Winter time..all above and add in furnace use.....3-4 weeks on ONE 30#
(Furnace is a HOG)

A gallon of propane has 91,600btu

Water heater....10,000/12,000btu per hour of burn time (Atwood/Suburban)
Fridge.............. 2,200btu for large fridge per hour of burn time
Furnace...........35,000/42,000btu per burn time
Stove top....one high btu burner (9000btu) 2 low btu burners (5000/ea) ..stove 1200but per hour burn time
Generator........depends on size (KW) of gen (5500W .8 gal/hour 1/2 load)

SO add up YOUR appliance btu per hour of run time and then you can get real close ball park figure on usage
30# cylinder has 7 gallons usable propane

OR when first cylinder goes empty.....go get it filled.
So will it empty one before beginning to use the second?
Old 05-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
our onan 6500 propane genny would eat a 30 lb cylinder in short order..like 8 hrs or continuous running
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
So will it empty one before beginning to use the second?

Auto Changeover LP Regulator WILL swap to other cylinder when first one goes empty....provided 2nd one is valved in for service

1st cylinder valved in for service is Primary....then turn lever/knob so it points to 1st cylinder and full green will be indicated.....open 2nd cylinder valve

When 1st goes empty...red will be indicated ....Reg will swap to 2nd cylinder.
Turn lever/knob to point at 2nd cylinder & red goes green

YOU need to check to see if 'red' is being indicated so you know 1st is empty. No other indication cause propane continues to flow

OR leave 2nd cylinder valved out...when 1st goes empty then no more propane flow and nothing works.
Course that usually happens at 2am on a cold night and no furnace
Old 05-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #6

I turned my knob from the empty tank to the full tank. Saw red turn to green. Went to stove. Can't get it to lite. Went back to tank indicated and it was blank. No green, no red. I assume the leak safty is locked. How do I cancel to get propane flowing again.

Thanks
bro61021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To get the leak safety to reset, I close the tank valve, disconnect the pigtail to relieve the pressure, reattach the pigtail, then **slowly** open the tank valve again.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #8

With all propane demand secured downstream of Regulator, close cylinder service valve...wait 30 seconds then SLOWLY open service valve
Should hear 2 clicks...one when you first crack open service valve and then another when Excess Flow Device (ball check valve) resets (all should happen within 5-10 seconds of opening service valve)

Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #9

Thanks, I'll give this a try to see if I can get it to work.. Thanks
Old 05-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #10

Old-biscuit is right.
When using the auto-changeover feature, the first tank will not completely empty, the auto feature does this based on vapor pressure in the first tank, so it leaves a bit in the first tank. This is so your LP appliances will not go out unexpectedly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:02 AM   #11

going back to the original question i would not expect to get the weeks of usage that have been quoted out of your propane tanks if you are running the furnace and / or generator. our onan 5500 lp generator can go through a tank of propane in around 8-10 hours. you don't mention what model generator you have but i would expect a 4000 to last a bit longer and somebody mentioned that a 6500 uses a tank in around 8 hours. extrapolating out you may get somewhere in the 8 -12 hours out a 30 lb tank depending on the load. running an a/c that is a day. recharging for 2 hours / day that is about 5 days. now hooked up to shore power and only using propane to cook you might go an entire season.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #12

I tried many times with no luck. This started with me starting my absorption refridgerator 24 hours in advance of use. When I returned the next day the freezer was cold but the fridge was hot. I checked the stove to see if I was out of gas but it wouldn't lite. So I changed the switch to the other tank and it hasn't worked since. I wanted the whole story out there to hopefully help get some answers.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
In my case, I have a 5500 lp generator but we don't dry camp. It's basically for emergency use. Plan to stay at CG with 50 amp hook ups. My RV uses propane for genny, furnace, stove top and oven and the water heater. At this time of year we won't be running the furnace, we don't use the Furrion oven because we don't like it and bought a Breville. Don't run the genny. Our water heater is a Truma On-Demand doesn't burn propane until we shower or wash dishes. So we're burning very little propane.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro61021 View Post
I turned my knob from the empty tank to the full tank. Saw red turn to green. Went to stove. Can't get it to lite. Went back to tank indicated and it was blank. No green, no red. I assume the leak safty is locked. How do I cancel to get propane flowing again.

Thanks
A little more on my delimer. After trying every suggestion on this site with no luck, I finally was able to plug into electric and gas came to my stove. What controls when gas only will work. What would gas the gas to work only when plugged in but not when unplugged. I appreciate your input.

Tags
propane