Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been told - but have not verified that holding a hair dryer on the LP detector so the air hits the sensor will clean or reactivate it. The person that told me said they got the info from a customer service rep with one of the LP detector companies.
Maybe the outside side does the same thing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
am waiting to get the answer to the "self-cleaning" part, which seems very mysterious, eh?
Me too, but we went through the same thing. Somewhere I read that the chirp (every X number of seconds indicated a sensor failure).We were done with the RV for the year and considering that it was now only a nuisance value I disconnected it. (I leave the Propane turned on)
Dec. past, while doing some mods inside I reconnected it and It hasn't chirped on it's own since. The test works fine so all appears OK. I believe it has to do more with voltage as mine got a blast from a battery minder that went amuck (15.5 volts instead of 13.2) If there is a filter I would believe it woul be electronic and has more to do frequency detection (infrared light measurement for example) and not a dust, this would be similar to the method the gaseous analyzers used in industry to detect the quantity of a specific material in a product.
Thankfully I hadn't taken it apart so now maybe I won't have to get another. The last monoxide detector, I threw away after a year in service and put the original back in So they're all pushing the 10 year mark if they're not already there.
Self cleaning filter = accumulated Charge bleeding off a capacitor, that's my guess

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Hair spray, cooking oil spray, cleaning agents... many things can set them off.. I carry a can of compressed air... couple of shots and it works fine.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Hair spray, cooking oil spray, cleaning agents... many things can set them off.. I carry a can of compressed air... couple of shots and it works fine.
Hmmm ours was chirping and the RV was winterized, nothing going on and no one inside, no moth balls and no reason for the chirping was discovered. It's OK now after it's had a rest (so far)

and you can add the smell from a black tank to that list especially if the front windows are open when you drive away from a week of being parked.

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kenyonman, glad to see your post as it clears up some unanswered questions like your situation as well. Last spring I had the same problem with my system making the chirping sound you had. When I tried to use the test button, I got nothing as well as no green light when pushing the test button as required. I took it out to stop the noise, called the RV dealer to ask about the operation. His reply was to through it away and replace with a newer model. I just didn't agree with his diagnosis, so I just put in in the cabinet above and left it for probably 2-3 months. I finally decided to try it once again, WALLA, all is well for almost a year, everything is normal. For whatever the reason for setting it outside and letting the filter self clean it'self, it must work because mine is fine. Keep up the good work and thanks for the post, it has answered my question. Happy trails to you and yours, and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another update...It started chirping in January as per my original post. After doing the "self cleaning" it has not chirped since (over 2 months). The green light is blinking as it should, so I know it is connected properly. There must really be something to the "self cleaning" thing. Kenyonman
kenyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
Well, I used to tell my wife that sometimes things can repair themselves, but of course she never bought into that one. But now I have a little proof!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote