Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane Detector Chirping

Help!!! I have a propane detector in my rig that chirps once then no sound for 10-15 seconds, and then chirps once again. The yellow fault light also illuminates. I press the reset and it stopped for 3 days but is now doing it again. The detector runs off of the engine battery. Last time it did this I started the engine to recharge it (battery was so low I had to use the boost start button) and it reset (all good). I then added a solar charger and have not had the problem for over a year. All batteries are showing 12+ volts. I know the first question will be what type of detector, unfortunately I am at work for the next 3 hours, and the wife and dog are in the rig (dog going nuts). I walked her through the reset and it stopped and went back to normal operation. It is a 2006 Damon Challenger 370I on the Ford chassis. Thanks...Kenyonman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try changing the battery in your smoke detector. In some models they are tied together and a single beep from the gas alarm is a notice to change the smoke detector battery.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the suggestion, but the smoke and CO2 detectors are not hard wired, where the propane detector is.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
K-man again with an update. I just verified the batteries, all good. Propane is 3/4 of a tank. Modle for the unit is "Atwood Protechtor series 2001". The helpful trouble shooting guide states "STEADY ORANGE Chirp every 30 seconds"... "Non-Microprocessor Component Failure. Press test button to reset, if condition persists contact Atwood Service Center."
Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many LP detectors only last about five years before the sensor fails.
Mine has a "replace by date" that is five years from the manufacturing date on the back and the last one died at just about five years.

Some folks have said they were able to rejuvenate the sensor by blowing hot air from a hair dryer into the detector but I haven't tried that so don't know if it really is effective or not.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the info. I pulled mine out (scary like disconnecting the TPMS just before a trip ). Anyways there is not a replacement date on the back. I called the Atwood service center. (By the way if you have an older manual, 2006, they have a new number, it is 800 546-8759). The tech said to disconnect the alarm and place it outside for 6-12 hours. They have a "Self Cleaning" filter that will clean itself and be fixed. I will keep all posted.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Very interesting! And mysterious. A self-cleaning filter??? Huh? I definitely want to hear the end of this one. Please keep us posted, Kenyonman.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Latest update...I disconnected the detector and let it sit outside overnight to see if the "self cleaning filter" would reset. Well its been 2 weeks and not a chirp from it.?.? Maybe there is something to this, I will continue to update every few weeks to keep ya'll informed.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is a failure indicator, There are two common causes, One is low battery (Recharge) may also be caused (But not likely) by a bad connection (Unless the furnace is running, then a bad connection at the battery can cause low voltage)

The other is random internal screw up.. Press and hold the TEST button till it alarms.. then step back and see if it fixes itself (Test/Reset)
Old 01-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
I'm a little confused. Is your LP detector battery powered or hard-wired? And is there a reliable test for the unit?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My LP Detector is hard wired to the engine battery. I have a solar charger on that. When the initial problem started the reset/test switch cleared it for 3 days then bad again, as I posted in my 2nd update the service department told me to disconnect it and place it outside for 12 hours and it would "Self Clean". Now I am back to 2 weeks without an issue.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Right. That's what I meant, was it wired to your aux batts, auto batt, or had its own battery inside the unit. I'm still wanting to keep up with this "self-cleaning" filter. Glad you're keeping us posted
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr4Film
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Right. That's what I meant, was it wired to your aux batts, auto batt, or had its own battery inside the unit. I'm still wanting to keep up with this "self-cleaning" filter. Glad you're keeping us posted
If you re-read his last post, he reiterates the fact that his LP detector is hard wired to the chassis battery, not the coach batteries nor an internal self contained battery. So any suggestions of replacing the battery is not needed. His chassis battery is fully charged and he also has a solar charger hooked to the chassis battery to keep it fully charged.

What is befuddling to most of us is the fact that the LP detector required a self cleaning by placing it outside for 24 hours. Although, that appears to have fixed the false chirping sounds coming from the detector.

I hope this answers your questions steelheadbluesman?

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Richard - Yes, I got that, I wasn't asking the same question twice, I was just reiterating. I worded it poorly in my response. But thanks for your effort to clarity nonetheless, as I always welcome more clarification. Like everyone, I am waiting to get the answer to the "self-cleaning" part, which seems very mysterious, eh?