Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #1

Propane heat does not work - HELP !!!!

We have had it repaired over the last two weeks twice. New Thermostat, New circuit Board. Still it goes on for a while then shuts down and won't come back on. It's our propane heat not the heat pump. Any ideas!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
A BIG welcome from East Tn.
I have NO knowledge on Furnaces. Other mechanical things some. Better to admit it than than being proved wrong.
You will find an awful lot of information here on The Forum.
Don't be afraid to ask questions-someone has "been there - done that"
that will hopefully point you in the right direction.
Again WELCOME...
Safe journeys...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
girlie, are you running from 120 volt AC power of 12 VDC from the batteries? Measure the voltage at the 12 volt terminals in the heater when operating.

It could be a low 12 volt power or possibly a high temp shutdown requiring a restart to clear it.

Make sure all of the heat vents are wide open and not blocked as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
As mentioned, put your DVM across the 12V at the furnace (neg to the metal frame of the furnace, pos to (usually) the red wire near the control board. take a reading before turning it on, then start it and take another reading. That'll be a start in troubleshooting. let us know what you find.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlie View Post
We have had it repaired over the last two weeks twice. New Thermostat, New circuit Board. Still it goes on for a while then shuts down and won't come back on. It's our propane heat not the heat pump. Any ideas!!!!
what kinda furnace? these references should keep you reading for a while. have fun.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

Marksrv.com rv furnace troubleshooting

Marksrv.com Suburban RV furnace parts

RV Furnace Troubles - Fixing RV Frunace Problems

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/SFseriesservice.pdf

http://www.gmceast.com/technical/Nic...an_Furnace.pdf
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello Andi and William. . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
If you find that the voltage at the furnace is at least 12.5vdc while operating, you have other problems. If it is low voltage, correct this issue first.
We really need more specifics as to what you are doing to get the unit back up and running. Are you simply turning it off and then back on or are you having to take it in for repairs. Has the unit be pulled out and cleaned lately? It should be done as a first step in repairing any problem. Debris, rusty burner, loose wiring connections, carbon on igniter electrode, partially restricted burner orifice, wrong lp gas pressure can cause erratic or no operation. Which thermostat was replaced. If it has a high limit thermostat, then you have air flow issues that need to be addressed. It could be on the return or discharge side of the furnace. Make sure no vents are closed. Look for kinked or crushed ducts.
Winnebago will usually provide the installation manual for the furnace. If you do not have it, one can be downloaded from the furnace manufacturer. Compare this to the actual installation. Verify the correct number and size of return and discharge venting ducts. I have ran into some units not installed properly causing the units to shut down on an over temperature condition.
The more information you can give us the better we can help you find the culprit.
Did the service center provide you with the old board? Why did they replace it and with what did they replace it with.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #7

Wow - Thanks for all the information. We went to the dealer and first they checked the wiring and thought it might be loose wires however after repairing that the furnace worked for a bit and then stopped again. We went back and they tested everything and decided to put a new thermostat and circuit board in. The thermostat was a little loose. The unit began working. We found that it worked into the night the other night while we were on the road. We had it set at 72 and it ran then set it at 68 to go to bed and some time in the middle of the night it went off and never came back on. So yesterday we left it on ALL day while driving from FL to VA on 72 and it came on and off many times and kept temp at 72. I am about to go out and check to see if it stayed on ALL night. I think the mechanic mentioned something about the only other thing it could or might be is that it gets hot and shuts off and then needs to be re-set. So my question is - if that is what's wrong - how do we re-set and after 2 years of working properly what would need to be repaired if that is the problem so what exactly needs to be repaired for it to re-set itself when in use. THANKS all of you again.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #8

OOPs I forgot to say we had new house batteries installed as well so it shouldn't be a problem with the voltage.

OK so I went out this morning and the heat is not running and apparently went off in the middle of the night. We left it set at 70 last night as it is freezing here in Virginia. The thermostat says 49. We have space heaters for backup but it appears that the unit stops working in the middle of the night after we drop the thermostat down a few degrees. ???????? We have new house batteries, wiring has been checked, new thermostat, new circuit board in the furnace. Basically it's been re-built.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am begging to suspect low air flow due to a restriction. Trace out the duct runs and make sure you are getting good flow at all of the heat registers. Let us know what you find.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
My parents Winnebago Journey had similiar problems & we finally got it fixed. The advise given above is excellent & from some that are RV technicians. I would definately heed thier advice. I would also suggest you go to my thread at http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/my-pa...ing-81009.html and pay particular attention to post 17. I outlined what the techs at Tom Johnsons did to troubleshoot our malfuctioning furnace. Just to add my own credentials, I am a heavy aircraft mechanic with 30+ years experience on all types of vehicles. I have some knowledge of what I speak, however I am not a trained RV Tech. Hope you get this repaired soon, I know first hand how frustrating it can be.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Without seeing your furnace I would guess you are operating on your ''high limit switch''. a furnace has two limit switches against the fire box. You have one that tells the furnace to come on and produce heat. When the thrmostat is satisfied it turns off the gas and and the furnace cools and turns off the fan. If that ''limit switch'' is not functioning properly your next safety is the ''high limit'' switch which prevents the furnace box from getting too hot while the fire is on. It will act just like a thermostat in that it will turn off the gas, the fire will go out, the box will cool and the air fan will stop running. the great problem is getting it to come back on when you want more heat.

If it were me. I would look at the ''HIGH LIMIT TEMP. SWITCH''. I bet a six pack I could diagnose your problem in fifteen minutes if I could see the furnace. I use to repair gas heaters and tend gas fired boilers for a living ..

God bless our troops....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #12

I think the high limit switch was investigated at Lazy Days and not found to be defective. The tech (Erics RV in Virginia Beach - not the original tech who "fixed" it at Lazy Days) has looked at it and said it is a dead spot in the blower motor. When it goes off you can rotate the blower motor with your finger and it will go on. does that make sense to you. Thank you for your response!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes that makes sense. If the motor stops at a point where it has no electrical contact when it receives a signal to turn on, the current flow will stop & the furnace will not start. It has been my experience that the fan or furnace motor (one in the same motor) must start before the gas will flow & the igniter will ignite therefore lighting the burner. I do not know the cost of a new motor, but before I bought a new motor I would have the tech open up the burner & check it out to make sure it is ok. I would hate to buy a motor then in a week or 2 find out the furnace it self needs to replaced also. Hopefully the motor is not to costly & it will fix the furnace.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
girlie, welcome to irv2.
Before replacing motor I would try some contact spray on brush commentator for cleaning and oil the motor shaft you may have rust binding a area on shaft that gets it stuck in that position.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote