Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Propane Issues

I'm trying to troubleshoot a propane issue affecting my 2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. The only thing that uses propane in the coach is a simple 2 burner propane cooktop in the galley and whatever we might attach to the factory installed auxiliary propane connection - which in our case are either a small Weber Q Grill or a small propane fire pit. We're able to start the stove, grill and/or propane fire pit normally. However, after 60-90 seconds of use - the flame goes out. Restarting it gets a few seconds of flame ... only to go out again.
Here's what I've done so far ....

1. Confirmed that there's propane in the tanks (gauge on the tank itself - as well as the segment gauge in the coach coach - all report that the tank is 2/3rd full.) I'm confident that there is propane in the tank.

2. The Propane Gas Alarm mounted at floor level in the galley was incessantly alarming. A check of the sensor revealed it was well past the 60 month "end of life" mark. I've replaced the old sensor with a brand new one. However, the shutdown problem persists.

3. I've reviewed the documentation for the stove in the galley - and see nothing about any sort of "automatic shut down features". I know there's nothing on either the Weber Q grill or the firepit. I'm reasonably confident that the issue is with the coach LP system (as opposed to something with the appliances themselves).

4. I've examined the regulator to ensure that the screen is clear of spider webs, etc. I have not yet replaced it.

Any suggestions as to where to go next?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #2

Have you tried fully closing the LP tank valve, then s-l-o--w-l-y opening it to fully open?
You may crack open the bleed valve (the one that spits liquid LP when the tank is full) to insure there is pressure in the tank.
Also, when LP appliances are unused for several weeks, the lines get air in them-don't ask me how though, it just happens. I assume any air should have been purged with the attempted re-lightings of your appliances.
LP does not "go bad" so that cannot be an issue, I suspect you may be right, faulty regulator. One way to determine that is by having your LP system pressure tested and re-set by using a manometer; 14" water column is the max; which equals 0.5 psi, and that is rather hard to measure accurately without the proper equipment.

You may construct your own manometer or rent a manometer, unless you already have one or know someone who does.

OK, that's it, no more suggestions in my memory banks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #3

As suggested above^^^

Could be the 'Excess Flow Device' being tripped....opening Service Valve to quickly can cause it to trip. Closing Service Valve then Opening it SLOWLY will reset it.
Excess flow device will limit the propane Flow from the time it trips until reset. Propane flow would be restricted when 1st using any appliance.

LP System rarely gets 'air' in the system unless something is opened to atmosphere.
Propane has a narrow combustion range and air/fuel ratio has to be met for ignition to occur.
LP System is on 11"WC----that is just 0.4 psi. You blow harder then that when you whistle.
When LP System is shutdown the Main Reg goes into 'lockup' condition. For it to begin controlling system pressure flow has to be established.
0.4 psi can take several attempts at lighting off before the system pressure is increased and flow established.....then main reg can control pressure/flow as demand increases.

RV LP Regs are cheap.......unless you have your own Manometer, build one (easy) and know how to use (also easy) ....it might be worth it/easier to just replace the Main LP Reg

Doubt the LP Detector is even connected to your LP System
That was discontinued many years ago---required a DC solenoid shutoff valve that was wired thru the detectors.

Try the 'reset' of Excess Flow Device........then replacement of Main LP Reg if you still have floww problems
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:17 AM   #4

You possibly could have a bad shut off valve that is not opening enough to get full flow. Also if you disconnect a line somewhere downstream of the tank with the valve turned off then turn the valve on and see if there is gas coming out. Be very careful doing this and obviously you don’t want any sparks or flames near your rig when doing this. It won’t tell you pressure but it will tell you if there is gas flowing. It is possible that you are low on propane and your gauges are incorrect. We are all guessing so good luck.
One thing I forgot, years ago we had our cab over camper out and none of the propane appliances would work. This was very strange considering we had two full propane tanks. Ended up the culprit was a orange cheesy looking substance that smelt like propane but felt like a wax. Not where we got it but it ruined one of our tanks, the gas lines, regulator, and we had to clean all of the gas orifices and supply tubes on every appliance.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
As suggested above^^^

Could be the 'Excess Flow Device' being tripped....opening Service Valve to quickly can cause it to trip. Closing Service Valve then Opening it SLOWLY will reset it.
Excess flow device will limit the propane Flow from the time it trips until reset. Propane flow would be restricted when 1st using any appliance.

LP System rarely gets 'air' in the system unless something is opened to atmosphere.
Propane has a narrow combustion range and air/fuel ratio has to be met for ignition to occur.
LP System is on 11"WC----that is just 0.4 psi. You blow harder then that when you whistle.
When LP System is shutdown the Main Reg goes into 'lockup' condition. For it to begin controlling system pressure flow has to be established.
0.4 psi can take several attempts at lighting off before the system pressure is increased and flow established.....then main reg can control pressure/flow as demand increases.

RV LP Regs are cheap.......unless you have your own Manometer, build one (easy) and know how to use (also easy) ....it might be worth it/easier to just replace the Main LP Reg

Doubt the LP Detector is even connected to your LP System
That was discontinued many years ago---required a DC solenoid shutoff valve that was wired thru the detectors.

Try the 'reset' of Excess Flow Device........then replacement of Main LP Reg if you still have floww problems
You are spot on Old-Bisquit

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #6

If both propane using appliances are acting the same way, I would strongly suspect a bad regulator. I just replaced ours that went bad and it was 10 years old, it looks like your regulator could be 8-9 years old if original.
A local full service propane dealer should be able to verify and replace the regulator for you, less than $100.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
1. Confirmed that there's propane in the tanks (gauge on the tank itself - as well as the segment gauge in the coach coach - all report that the tank is 2/3rd full.) I'm confident that there is propane in the tank.
The leveling float is inside the tank and moves a magnet, there is no connection to the gauge, the gauge follows the magnet. The indoor tank gauge reads directly from that gauge which is mounted to the tank, that is what the wire mounted on the gauge is for. If the indoor gauge matches the outside gauge it just means the wiring is good.

Remove the gauge (the tank is sealed, no gas will escape) and use a magnet to change the gauge to 100% full or 0% full and see if the indoor gauge matches it. Install the gauge and see if it goes to the original tank level.

It is not uncommon to have the gauge or the float go bad. Easy test is to fill the tank.

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...4dUDCAs&uact=5

http://www.lp-gasequipment.com/produ...010_p59-71.pdf
Old 09-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thank You all for the Input!

Turning off the tank ... then turning it back on slowly appears to have done the trick. I'm a little bummed I didn't try that before I replaced the sensor - since now I don't know whether or not the failing/failed sensor came into play. No question it needed to be replaced ... just wish I knew whether it played a role in shutting down the fuel flow. Again, thank you all for the suggestions!
Old 09-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #9

It could still be a sticky regulator, keep a eye on it. I now carry a spare regulator, $30.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Turning off the tank ... then turning it back on slowly appears to have done the trick. I'm a little bummed I didn't try that before I replaced the sensor - since now I don't know whether or not the failing/failed sensor came into play. No question it needed to be replaced ... just wish I knew whether it played a role in shutting down the fuel flow. Again, thank you all for the suggestions!

Sensor...as in LP Detector?

Did it have 3 wires or just 2?

Doubt your 2012 has a solenoid shutoff powered by detector.
That was discontinued many years ago by MFGs
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane