Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Pure sine from converter?

I have a very old Honda generator hooked up to my trailer via a 15a/30a adapter, I can't imagine the 110 outlets on this old thing are pure sine. My question is, will the power coming out of the outlets via the converter (not inverter) be pure sine? I have fried a laptop using a modified sine inverter in the past and don't want to do this again! But this is not a question about inverters, just if a modified sine going through a converter is pure sine?
davidkingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkingham View Post
I have a very old Honda generator hooked up to my trailer via a 15a/30a adapter, I can't imagine the 110 outlets on this old thing are pure sine. My question is, will the power coming out of the outlets via the converter (not inverter) be pure sine? I have fried a laptop using a modified sine inverter in the past and don't want to do this again! But this is not a question about inverters, just if a modified sine going through a converter is pure sine?
There are some Honda generators that are designed to produce pure sine wave/clean power, but I think you're right that you can't depend on that with an older model. In any event, I'd recommend a surge protector no matter what, and in my experience, you could have problems with appliances or micro-processor based electronics no matter what you do. A laptop should be able to be charged from the output of a generator, however. The battery charging circuit shouldn't require exceptionally clean power.
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #3

The outlets are not powered by the converter, just the generator. An inverter is used to power the outlets from battery power, but apparently you don't have one.

You might be surprised, but a good generator can produce clean power and an inverter type generator will produce clean power regardless of engine RPM.

If you want to be sure, buy a pure sine wave inverter large enough for the computer and run it off the battery.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

A converter is a 12 volt battery charger, eleminater. It runs off 120 volts to power your 12 volt items and maintain your battery.

An inverter is a different animal. It take your 12 volt power and invertes it to 120 power. They come in modified sine, actually modified square, wave and pure sine wave.

Portable and mounted constant speed generators are sine wave producing devices. Good RPM, controls the volts and cycles.

Inverter generators produce sine wave power electronicly, so RPM is not important for the waveform. (cycles)
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
Commercial Member

First, your old generator produces a sine wave output, it is a rotary generator just like the power houses that supply commercial power only a smaller scale. It may also provide some spikes (electrical noise) as a result of the condition of the brushes.

Next, the converter you are speaking of is the 15amp to 30amp RV outlet not the converter in your RV. Therefore the above attempts to clarify the converter/inverter confusion are totally off the subject. In your case, there isn't any cleaning/reconditioning of the power generated, it just a socket conversion.

The comparison of your generator to a newer inverter based generator is that it was discovered that generating low voltage and using a builtin inverter to create the 120vac output is more efficient and lighter to build. The output of those newer inverter based generators is pure sine wave but limited in power. Yes, you can parallel two inverter based generators but 4000 watts is the limit of the efficiency gain. Larger than that returns to the original rotary style generator.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 03-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
First, your old generator produces a sine wave output, it is a rotary generator just like the power houses that supply commercial power only a smaller scale. It may also provide some spikes (electrical noise) as a result of the condition of the brushes.

Next, the converter you are speaking of is the 15amp to 30amp RV outlet not the converter in your RV. Therefore the above attempts to clarify the converter/inverter confusion are totally off the subject. In your case, there isn't any cleaning/reconditioning of the power generated, it just a socket conversion.

The comparison of your generator to a newer inverter based generator is that it was discovered that generating low voltage and using a builtin inverter to create the 120vac output is more efficient and lighter to build. The output of those newer inverter based generators is pure sine wave but limited in power. Yes, you can parallel two inverter based generators but 4000 watts is the limit of the efficiency gain. Larger than that returns to the original rotary style generator.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC

Honda makes a 7k inverter generator.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #7

Thanks guys, I was obviously confused about what a converter does exactly, I just didn't want to have it confused with an inverter.

So, what I think you all are saying is that the power coming from the generator should be clean enough to use for my laptop? I've attached a picture of the old (baby) beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4793.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	121440  
davidkingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrask View Post
There are some Honda generators that are designed to produce pure sine wave/clean power, but I think you're right that you can't depend on that with an older model. In any event, I'd recommend a surge protector no matter what, and in my experience, you could have problems with appliances or micro-processor based electronics no matter what you do. A laptop should be able to be charged from the output of a generator, however. The battery charging circuit shouldn't require exceptionally clean power.
Surge protector will not stop a MSW inverter from damaging electronics. Maybe that's not what you mean when you say to use one as high voltage can also occur.
Using a PSW inverter shouldn't cause any problems either.
Older genset might if the output wave form isn't PSW.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #9

If your laptop charges from a "brick" style adapter it should work just fine with the generator, it acts as sort of a filter. I have not seen that particular model of Honda before and I have a couple of pretty old ones.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #10

FWIW "Pure Sine" inverters are defined as having more than 3 steps in the half cycle. They are not as "pure" as a rotary generator.

I doubt you fried your laptop from using an MSW inverter. You might have killed the brick but that is easily replaceable. If you are worried about it buy the external supply specified for wide range input (120-240VAC, 50-60 Hz) or for 12 VDC input and use that to power your laptop. The internals are designed to handle bad power.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW "Pure Sine" inverters are defined as having more than 3 steps in the half cycle. They are not as "pure" as a rotary generator.

I doubt you fried your laptop from using an MSW inverter. You might have killed the brick but that is easily replaceable. If you are worried about it buy the external supply specified for wide range input (120-240VAC, 50-60 Hz) or for 12 VDC input and use that to power your laptop. The internals are designed to handle bad power.
Here is a clip that explains it.

Almost all consumer grade inverters that are sold as a "pure sine wave inverter" do not produce a smooth sine wave output at all,*just a less choppy output than the square wave (one step) and modified sine wave (three step) inverters.

In this sense, the phrases "Pure sine wave" or "sine wave inverter" are misleading to the consumer.

*However, this is not critical for most electronics as they deal with the output quite well.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

I stand corrected, but that is probably pushing the cost/benefit of inverter based generation. And as mentioned above, the frequency control is much more stable as it is not based on engine rpm.

The physical size is a big factor as I have worked with many large military generators that were rock solid. Today's technology changes the rules.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 AM   #13

FWIW - "Changes" is the correct term. Not "Improves". The major factor with Inverter style generators is fuel economy because they can vary the speed. In return it costs a lot of money and introduces all the problems of having an inverter in the system.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter