Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Quality of 50 AMP Extension Cords

I see prices all over the board on extension cords & 50amp to 30amp adapters. TRC Surger Guard cords being at the higher end.

Is there a big quality issue between these cords?
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you really need a 50a extension? Expensive to buy and heavy to tote around. On the rare occasion an extension is needed, a 30a works for me. I think you will find many others do likewise.

Adapters with handles are good to have, IMHO. Camco brand I think I have. My 30a extension is just whatever was cheapest when I bought it years and multiple coaches ago, due to infrequent use.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #3

I may not ever need it, used it once so far, but we bought a 50amp Camco 50' cord from Wal-Mart on line. Just over $100. Cheapest price I could find. Yes, that sucker is heavy too.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Do you really need a 50a extension? Expensive to buy and heavy to tote around.
I will want a couple adapters & possibly an extension cord to plug my coach in at my house when I bring it here from the storage location before we go away or when we return.

My question was more about quality of cords or adapters based on big differences in prices.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

Camco has the big yellow plugs with handles. Makes it way easier to disconnect. Again best price I found on it was through Wal-Mart.com. Ordered and picked up at local wal-mart. $100mol.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A regular heavy duty 50' or 100' extension cord will handle everything except air conditioning. A 30a extension will enable an air conditioner. 50a cord if course will run everything. Each assuming the appropriate service us available. I like the quality of the Camco power cord extensions and adapters with handles. The handles make it easier to plug/unplug.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #7

To try to answer your question without having tried many of them, it appears the main difference is in flexibility and end fittings. The more expensive ones have better ends and have more, finer wires and more flexible coverings so they are easier to handle. I have only used mine once, and that was at a KOA that had extensions available for use (or rent?),
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality