RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Question on Replacing my Roof Top A/C Units

Hi. I have 2 dead ac units and want to replace them. I have 2 Duo-Therm units (model 57915.621). These are original from 1997. Seems part numbers have slightly changed today. My question is should I be able to connect new unit to the existing wires? Should I expect new similar units to be as easy as plug and play? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #2

Best information you should be able to get,is from the manufacturer of the units. They should be able to tell you what you need to do it. That is what I would do, then I would know. Now if I did it myself or had it done, there would be no smoke blown since I would know.

A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes but depending on the new model they may not be compatible with your thermostats.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #4

I just replaced a 1993 Duo-Therm. The a/c was ok but the control board had problems. We found that the wires were _soldered to_ the control board and more soldering would have to be done to replace the control board. I can solder to pc boards and my tech can, but neither of us felt capable of doing what Dometic said would be required.

So discretion being the better part etc I decided to replace the old 13,500k Duo-Therm with a brand new Brisk II.

So far it's tremendously worth the cost. If I'd known it would make such a difference I would have done it voluntarily much earlier.

The old a/c ran about 10F under ambient, so if it was 95F outdoors it was 85F indoors. The new a/c does so good that the indoor temp keeps decreasing until it shuts off. And that's still running on auto/low fan speed. In full sunshine in the 90s in Florida.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would replace them with the Dometic Penguin II High Capacity heat pumps. You will need to buy the CCC2 thermostat. I also advise getting the 5-year extended warranty. It seems that if these units are gonna fail they do it around the 3 year mark, right after the factory warranty runs out. The extended warranty is reasonably priced.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Yes but depending on the new model they may not be compatible with your thermostats.
Yes, apparently anything I get, somethings got to change. My local rv shop told me I would have to change a control board on the ac unit to make it compatible with my older style thermostat. I'm still waiting for them to call me back with the model they recommend and this board they say I will also need.
Just waiting patiently for someone to get back to me. (The local rv shop, Dometic customer service, and Dyers rv.) I just emailed Dyers yesterday, so its been less than 24 hours with them. I just hate to wait to spend money!
Old 08-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
I just replaced a 1993 Duo-Therm. The a/c was ok but the control board had problems. We found that the wires were _soldered to_ the control board and more soldering would have to be done to replace the control board. I can solder to pc boards and my tech can, but neither of us felt capable of doing what Dometic said would be required.

So discretion being the better part etc I decided to replace the old 13,500k Duo-Therm with a brand new Brisk II.

So far it's tremendously worth the cost. If I'd known it would make such a difference I would have done it voluntarily much earlier.

The old a/c ran about 10F under ambient, so if it was 95F outdoors it was 85F indoors. The new a/c does so good that the indoor temp keeps decreasing until it shuts off. And that's still running on auto/low fan speed. In full sunshine in the 90s in Florida.
John, thats the model I figured I would install, the Brisk II, Seemed to be similar to my original duo therms, (1997) as far as the model numbers and searching the web. And I believe the local rv shop also brought that model up. But according to said local rv shop, I would need to also purchase a control board and swap it out on the unit, so it would work with my 5 button duo therm thermostat on the wall. I am waiting for them to get back to me with a price on a unit and this control board. My question to you is did you have to deal with this control board issue? Did you have to get a different thermostat on the wall? Or did you just hook it up and it worked? Im assuming we have the same thermostat on the wall. I see you own a 1993 and Im driving a 1997. So how did it go with you? Please and thank you, Cory
Old 08-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would replace them with the Dometic Penguin II High Capacity heat pumps. You will need to buy the CCC2 thermostat. I also advise getting the 5-year extended warranty. It seems that if these units are gonna fail they do it around the 3 year mark, right after the factory warranty runs out. The extended warranty is reasonably priced.
Joe, I looked at the Penguin II. Unfortunately that model is a little out of my price range that I want to spend. I am just a weekend warrior for camping in my RV. I would feel lucky if I could use my motor home 10 weekends a year!
Wish I could every weekend or even a week straight! And the fact I have only used my air conditioners 1 or 2 weekends every year for the last 12 years, I almost dont even need one. But I want to have one, just in case! And I know from web research, I would need to swap out a control board with that unit as well.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
PPL has a big sale on there AC units. You may want to check them out when you decide which model you want.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #10

Ok, so Ive learned quite a bit about rv air conditioners in the last few weeks.
I purchased a Dometic duo therm Brisk 2 (13500 btu) model # B57915.xx1c0
(Ducted) After online talking with customer service from RV Parts Country.com, Told them my situation, and Jessica was very helpful!
That ac didn't come with a control box. (the electric box with circuit board and all wires that attaches inside the ac). ('I'm trying to learn all this as I go, so this is how my brain is taking this all in.)
I had to purchase a control box separately. The reason, depending on a couple of things. I have 2 ac units on my rv. (I'm only replacing 1 at the moment). So the control box needs to be able to communicate with the other ac. Also, the thermostat on my wall connects to a wire that looks like a telephone cord. Land line phone cord. So the control box also needs to have 2 "phone jacks" on it. (1 goes to thermostat, and the other goes to the other ac). AND.... this new ac has an optional heat strip that can be attached. So I definitely wanted that too.
So all that that I just spoke of, determined what control box was needed. (without adding this new heat strip, I think I could've used the old control box from the dead ac, but I'm not completely sure.) It sure looked like it would work. Now, because of this new heat strip I'm adding, now I needed a new wall thermostat. My old one wouldn't be able to turn on the heat strip.
I think I finally figured this all out! I'll be installing soon, hopefully tonight!
Anyway I hope this can clear things up for anyone searching for these answers as I was. It wasn't easy finding all the right answers, but after talking with Jessica from RV Parts Country .com customer service, she figured out everything I needed.
I'll list the part numbers below.

Dometic Duo therm Brisk 2 ac 13500 btu model B57915.xx1co
Dometic Comfort Control Center 2multi zone kit control box 3312020.000
Dometic Brisk 2 air conditioner ducted heat strip 3315450.000
Dometic Comfort air white thermostat 3314082.011

The hardest part was getting the old ac off the roof and the new one up on the roof. Get 2 strong people! We threw the old one to the ground (soft ground) and we didn't open the box of the new one until the 2 of us got it up on the roof. On 2 sturdy ladders
Peace!

Tags
roof