Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question on Suburban Water Heater

I have a 10 gallon water heater, 120 volt/ gas operation. In the compartment is an on/off switch that controlls a spark igniter. My question is once the pilot is lit and the burner is working, do I shut this switch off or leave it on till I turn off everthing off when I leave?
I tried to find a download of the instuction book, but nothing I found mentioned this. I found out that if the gas is turned off, that the igniter sits there clicking.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #2

When you say in the compartment do you mean outside at the water heater?
Depending on the age of the unit that should be the off on switch for the electric operation.
The switch on the wall that says water heater is the one that operates the water heater when on gas or electric.
With the water heater switched to on and the panel switch to on the red light should stay on.
With the water heater switch to off and the gas to the unit on,the red light will be on until the pilot is lit and then will go off.
In a nut shell,the switch at the water heater should be on when using electric and off when using gas
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #3

The water heater you have, should not have a pilot, the ignitor re-lights the burner for every heat cycle, as trackman , mentioned you should have a remote switch for propane/ignitor with indicator light, and maybe even one for 110v.
Did you manage to download an owners manual.
If you don't have one , post the heater model# and if the manual I have covers your # , I'll scan mine to a PDF and e mail it to you.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Trackman and Skip426, thanks for the quick reply.
Track, the switch is in the compartment on the outside. For the 110 v operation there is a switch under the upper cabinates in the kitchen.
Skip. I downloaded a manual that says installation and opperation, but there is no mention of the switch that I believe is to turn the igniter on and off. Idon't think there is a need for the owners manual, what I downloaded has everything else including a complete parts breakdown with part numbers.

I just went out to check the switch inside the camper and it does have a red light next to the switch.
In reading the two answers I believe I got the answer. If on gas I leave the switch that is in the outside compartment ON until I turn the Gas off and also turn the igniter switch off.
One last question now. Can it have both the gas and electric on at the same time?
Thanks again, (I'm a little new at this as we just restarted our camping. Our last travel trailer had no plumbing and no heat, so there wil be a learning curve
Old 07-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #5

I would say no to the dual usage. Some have said they do this but the systems are built to run off one or the other.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
I would say no to the dual usage. Some have said they do this but the systems are built to run off one or the other.

Not true, you can use both for faster recovery or heavy usage. If you were not allowed to do that they would have an interlock to keep some idiot from hiring a Lawyer. My Atwood in my Travel Trailer states you can use both at the same time. Unfortunately for me, my Motor Home Suburban is strictly Gas.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Both electric and gas can be turned on during periods of heavy hot water demand: showering/dish washing. Afterwards we will sometimes use only gas or only electric to give both systems an even work out. The main thing with electric to remember is "always" make sure there is water in the tank when you flip the switch or you stand a good chance of burning the element up.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all. I kind of thought it was ok to use both.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
The switch on the wall that says water heater is the one that operates the water heater when on gas or electric.
With the water heater switched to on and the panel switch to on the red light should stay on.
With the water heater switch to off and the gas to the unit on,the red light will be on until the pilot is lit and then will go off.
In a nut shell,the switch at the water heater should be on when using electric and off when using gas
I am confused too about my Suburban water heater (SW6DE).

My water heater is both gas and electric. I'm currently running it on gas with the electric element switch turned off. When I turn on the switch inside the RV living compartment, it stays red all the time even after the gas has turned off. Everything seems to work correctly, the gas comes on when water needs heating and goes off when completed, However, the red light is allways on and never goes out.

Any Ideas why?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #10

goldpan,
Different years , models, had different light operation, . My 2000 , 5ver 6gal, had the power "on" indicator, like yours; red light lit when the switch was on; constant. By 2005, 5ver with 6gal , had changed to the momentary; ignitor working; indicator light. When I got my "A" a 1999 with 10 gal it has the momentary. No idea why they have these differences.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #11

I think you are talking about two different lights. There is a light for the electric element and a light for the gas pilot. The light for the electric on my coach is like a light switch and the switch goes red when turned on. The pilot light is very small and turns on when the water heater is turned on for gas.

I purchased the coach used and found out just the past trip that the electric heater element was burned out. Even so, the light stayed on. I thought I had a problem because the water never got hot with electric only. I thought at first that ther thermostat was bad and replace it. Then check the heater element and it was very evident that it was burned out. Replace it and now the water gets hot when using electric only.
graycarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you see your gas light come on at times with your electric light lit it maybe because the other electric switch on face of Suburban WH is not on and the water is only getting heated by the gas burner when water needs to be heated.
Put on outside switch for electric plus the inside and the gas will not come on unless your taking showers and you have the gas switch on.
Once the water is heated with both gas & electric I shut off gas and let camp ground electric do the heating.
Can be confusing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Thumbs up

Thank you,

Skip426, graycarpet & "007" for your input to my red light switch concern on my Suburban water heater. I will take all your comments into account and see if they may apply to my condition.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
I have a 10 gallon water heater, 120 volt/ gas operation. In the compartment is an on/off switch that controlls a spark igniter. My question is once the pilot is lit and the burner is working, do I shut this switch off or leave it on till I turn off everthing off when I leave?
I tried to find a download of the instuction book, but nothing I found mentioned this. I found out that if the gas is turned off, that the igniter sits there clicking.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
I have a 99 Kountry Star with 10 gallon Suburban water heater. The Electric switch in the outside compartment is to heat water with 120v electric. You can use this with propane heating at the same time or by it self.
The Igniter switch you turn on when you light the pilot and leave it on when in operation and if the pilot goes out like from wind it will reignite the pilot. Turn this switch off when you are done camping or it will click as long as the battery last. Hope this helps.

Tags
heater, water