Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Questions on WFCO 8955PEC Converter

I have a new Outdoors RV and have the 8955PEC installed. I have been reading about what it takes to maintain your batteries. Everything I read says I need a bulk mode to jump start the recharging and then an absorption and then a float mode. I have read the manual and that's what this particular converter does. I have read about people replacing their converter, typically when they fail, with a a four stage converter vice what I have in the three stage. Is it worth upgrading to a four stage converter even though I have a new trailer? My battery setup is four 6 volt batteries and I have a 160W Zamp solar panel on the roof.

If it's worth upgrading what should I be looking at?
spogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 01:43 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spogdog View Post
I have a new Outdoors RV and have the 8955PEC installed. I have been reading about what it takes to maintain your batteries. Everything I read says I need a bulk mode to jump start the recharging and then an absorption and then a float mode. I have read the manual and that's what this particular converter does. I have read about people replacing their converter, typically when they fail, with a a four stage converter vice what I have in the three stage. Is it worth upgrading to a four stage converter even though I have a new trailer? My battery setup is four 6 volt batteries and I have a 160W Zamp solar panel on the roof.

If it's worth upgrading what should I be looking at?
As you may have seen, many on here have done upgrades and think it is worthwhile. Your battery setup and solar sounds like a great starting point.

Part of the answer you are looking for depends on what you want to accomplish. For the most part that depends on how long you will go without shore power and what kind or power usage you expect. This includes if you want to use an inverter for AC loads such as a microwave, electric coffee maker etc., and running the furnace in cold weather.

The WFCO converter you have will likely work fine when on shore power or for short periods disconnected. Upgrading that will have advantages such as shorter charging times if you are using a generator.

If you mainly want to improve battery charging and maintenance there are some good converter upgrades.

If you want to use an inverter, there are good options that include an inverter and battery charger combination.

What is your expected use of the RV and do you plan much camping where you are not connected to shore power or generator?
Old 09-13-2018, 05:26 AM   #3

spogdog-

According to the specs, the converter in a WFCO 8955 PEC power center has a "modern" 3-stage charger section. There is no reason to upgrade it.

Here is something worth spending money on: If you expect to be connected to shore power at all, you will want a Progressive Industries EMS, either portable or hard-wired, assuming your trailer does not already have one. Use the one with the current rating that matches your trailer, either 30A or 50A. Links to the PI EMSes are here:

EMS-HW30C or EMS-LCHW30: 30A hard-wired
EMS-PT30X: 30A portable
EMS-HW50C or EMS-LCHW50: 50A hard-wired
EMS-PT50X: 50A portable
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:35 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Joe View Post
As you may have seen, many on here have done upgrades and think it is worthwhile. Your battery setup and solar sounds like a great starting point.

Part of the answer you are looking for depends on what you want to accomplish. For the most part that depends on how long you will go without shore power and what kind or power usage you expect. This includes if you want to use an inverter for AC loads such as a microwave, electric coffee maker etc., and running the furnace in cold weather.

The WFCO converter you have will likely work fine when on shore power or for short periods disconnected. Upgrading that will have advantages such as shorter charging times if you are using a generator.

If you mainly want to improve battery charging and maintenance there are some good converter upgrades.

If you want to use an inverter, there are good options that include an inverter and battery charger combination.

What is your expected use of the RV and do you plan much camping where you are not connected to shore power or generator?

So far we have done a combination of dry camping and RV park camping. I do have two Honda 2000 generators which I can run in parallel but there have been times when the use of the generator was limited. I don't want to run my generator for hours on end just to charge the batteries and I had also read that even on shore power the WFCO charger takes a long time to to get the batteries fully charged.
spogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spogdog View Post
So far we have done a combination of dry camping and RV park camping. I do have two Honda 2000 generators which I can run in parallel but there have been times when the use of the generator was limited. I don't want to run my generator for hours on end just to charge the batteries and I had also read that even on shore power the WFCO charger takes a long time to to get the batteries fully charged.
Yes, The WFCO can take a long time to charge. I'm using a Magnum MS2000. It can put out up to 100 amps to the batteries. I normally limit it to less than this. That is more than needed I think for 4-6V batteries, but it can bulk charge very well, reducing the generator time.

2000W 12VDC Pure Sine Inverter Charger MS Series | Magnum Dimensions
Old 09-23-2018, 02:13 AM   #6

Just went through this issue with my 2019 Solaire TT. The WFCO will not be ideal if you want to dry camp and recharge from a genny. The WFCO drops to "absorption" mode at @13.1 volts and single digit amps after just a few minutes on genny. It will take many hours to recharge. Been there, done that.
The WFCO is designed to be hooked up to a power post all the time. Its charging program is optimized for that, NOT a genny for a short period. Don't believe the hype of the Bulk mode. It don't work that way

I went with a Xantrex 40 amp charger, Very happy with it. The change out is
5 wires and you have to cut two slots in the back wall or remove the two back fingers from the Xantrex. The 3 A/C wires will need to be extended and the 2 DC wires need to be replaced with longer #8 wire to reach the DC connection. It takes 30-40 mins for the change out. I tinned the DC wire ends with solder so as to have a more solid connection at each end. I used fine multistrand marine wire for the DC wires. Easy to work with, flexible.

Now when I run the genny I get 28-30 amps in at 14.1 volts for at least 2 hours. I can recover everything I use in 3 hrs tops and we play TV and lights a lot on the inverter. I use a Westinghouse 2000 watt genny.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter