Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
R.V. refrigerator

well the dometic frig gave up,amona smell. Has any one used the Arcticold cooling units as replacements.
countryheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought the Amish cooling unit from Dave Force. Installed it myself. Works as well as the original cooling unit and was much heavier. I would do it again although since we seldom boondock I'll go with an apartment size all electric unit at replacement time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
X2 on the Amish unit. I replaced my Norcold unit with one and am impressed with the operation, build and quality of the Amish. They area available from David Force at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

David is also a great resource for technical assistance on the Dometic and Norcold units.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have 3 choices
1 (I consider this the best) Amish built cooling unit, this is a direct replacement for the "Guts" of the Dometic, you keep the same "rest of the unit" so operationally nothing changes.

2: Replacement: same or diferent model, NO real advantage to this as you will very likely get the same lower quality cooling unit that you had (Same make at least) the Amish cooling units are higher quality (Or so the forums have led me to believe)

3: Residential.. Like the one with NO OFF SWITCH people talk about,,, You can likely figure out my opinion of NO OFF SWITCH.

There are other issues as well. with option 3
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
X2 on the Amish unit. I replaced my Norcold unit with one and am impressed with the operation, build and quality of the Amish. They area available from David Force at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

David is also a great resource for technical assistance on the Dometic and Norcold units.

X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for your advice, the Amish & the Arcticool sound about the same.The only thing is am in Canada. To get the Amish unit shipped here is quite costly and the exchange of the $$.
countryheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryheart View Post
Thanks for your advice, the Amish & the Arcticool sound about the same.The only thing is am in Canada. To get the Amish unit shipped here is quite costly and the exchange of the $$.

You might find a distributor in Canada that sells the Amish unit!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Call Dave and see if he has a supplier in Canada and here are a couple of units that have been put in.
If you visit the U.S. you can have them put it in.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryheart View Post
Where in Canada are you.. you can sneak across to say Elkhart, IN (About 3-4 hours from Windsor) and kind of forget to mention the repair when you return... And in fact I am not sure you have to mention the repair

I mean you left with an RV fridge that had a cooling unit
You will return with an RV fridge that has a cooling unit... That works (You just fail to mention the last) Thus nothing changed.

And if not near Windsor.. Well.. other parts of Canada are also close to other parts of the USA, which I tour in a Chevrolet.. Powered motor home (Sorry, old TV ad crept in).
Old 02-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #10

Have not used Arcticold, but have used Nordic and "Amish" units.

What refr is this going in?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:04 AM   #11

I have the Amish unit also. If I were going to buy another cooling unit I would be looking a RVcool.com. They also make a much thicker tubing cooling unit. Look at their web sight and they tell you just how much thicker their unit is and how thick the Amish really is. The RVcool unit is also much less money than the Amish unit, no middle man making a profit. The RVcool also comes with the ARP protection device installed.
My next unit will be a residential, too much hassle with absorption units.