Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #1

Rear bedroom too warm

Let me start by saying we are dealing with real heat and humidity here in Florida. We have two a/c zones and both seem to be working good but we don't get much airflow through the duct in the rear bedroom. The bathroom which is just in front of the bedroom is like a walk in cooler.

My logic would say to close off the other air outlets to push more air to the rear. When we do this, we do get a little more air in the bedroom but then the rear a/c freezes up.

It seems to me there is something restricting the air duct between the bathroom and bedroom. If I could get the airflow in the bedroom that I get in the bathroom I don't think I would be here.

I have considered setting up fans in the hallway to move air from the front of the coach (which cools fine) to the rear. They will be in the way. I'm about ready to cut a hole in the roof and mount a 3rd a/c dedicated to the bedroom.

Has anyone else had this issue? Being a DP it's especially bad when stopping for the evening after driving as the bedroom is right over the hot engine.
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A fan to circulate from front to back is a good temporary solution. You might try probing the duct work in the back, perhaps it's not connected correctly. It could allow air to 'short circuit' and return to the evaporator instead of blowing out the vents.

As you learned, A/C (or furnaces, for that matter) don't do well when you block off vents. A thermometer to measure air temp drop between intake and output is a good first step. It should be 15-20º cooler at output vent. Compare front and rear A/C to see if both are working as they should.

I'd really think leaking or poorly connected ducts might be the problem. It might require removing the rear A/C and checking connections. You might start by removing the return air grill and trying to see how things are sealed there. (Then you can rinse off the filter in the process to eliminate that restriction possibility)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Good suggestions so far.

You might also try taking the supply vent covers off and use a smartphone to photograph the inside of the ducts. It can tell you if you have an obstruction, or whether a duct that has opened up.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ View Post
Let me start by saying we are dealing with real heat and humidity here in Florida. We have two a/c zones and both seem to be working good but we don't get much airflow through the duct in the rear bedroom. The bathroom which is just in front of the bedroom is like a walk in cooler.

My logic would say to close off the other air outlets to push more air to the rear. When we do this, we do get a little more air in the bedroom but then the rear a/c freezes up.

It seems to me there is something restricting the air duct between the bathroom and bedroom. If I could get the airflow in the bedroom that I get in the bathroom I don't think I would be here.

I have considered setting up fans in the hallway to move air from the front of the coach (which cools fine) to the rear. They will be in the way. I'm about ready to cut a hole in the roof and mount a 3rd a/c dedicated to the bedroom.

Has anyone else had this issue? Being a DP it's especially bad when stopping for the evening after driving as the bedroom is right over the hot engine.
Tom,we have a 2012 American Tradition...same as a Fleetwood...and we heard the rear running but had no cool air in the bedroom....went to the factory and they checked the rear a/c..said working perfectly as it should....
we went to the output vents and asked them where the airflow was,then...they took a/c off and found the styrofoam packing in the vent blocking the airflow..all good now,Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was able to check the input/output air temps. I'm getting a 17 degree difference. That sounds about right. I'm pretty sure it's an airflow issue. I'll try as suggested to get a look inside the air duct.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

There was/is a piece of styrofoam that looks like might be there to support the duct from collapsing. It had twisted sideways blocking the duct. I'll try to attach a picture taken after I lined it up with the duct. I'll keep an eye on it. I might need someone with a small arm to reach in and duct tape it to hold in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	132041  
Old 07-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ View Post
There was/is a piece of styrofoam that looks like might be there to support the duct from collapsing. It had twisted sideways blocking the duct. I'll try to attach a picture taken after I lined it up with the duct. I'll keep an eye on it. I might need someone with a small arm to reach in and duct tape it to hold in place.
Tom,
pretty sure the tech at American-Fleetwood said that was the what the duct was made out of....I'm not sure if they put my piece back in or took it out completely...maybe just push it to the side...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote