RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #1

Rear Camera

My Weldex rear camera worked fine until last fall when mice got into the ceiling and I suspect damaged the cable between the rear camera and the monitor. I installed a new cable and everything works fine except when I shift into Reverse the screen goes blank. How could a new cable connected only between the rear camera and the monitor change the function like this, and how do I fix it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #2

Many cameras are connected to backup light circuit to only turn on when you put the vehicle in reverse. You will need to replace that cable as well, or reconfigure to be always on (which I prefer).

festrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by festrvl View Post
Many cameras are connected to backup light circuit to only turn on when you put the vehicle in reverse. You will need to replace that cable as well, or reconfigure to be always on (which I prefer).

That is my question. How do I configure it to be always on? It was always on before and all I did was replace the 4-wire cable between the camera and monitor. I did not touch any other cable.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinFever View Post

That is my question. How do I configure it to be always on? It was always on before and all I did was replace the 4-wire cable between the camera and monitor. I did not touch any other cable.
Assuming the 4 wire cable is the only connection between the camera and the monitor, the wires would provide 12 volt power, send control signals, and carry the video to the monitor. It is possible the control wires are not the same as before the replacement. Check the wiring specifications at both ends.

Another possibility is the system is programable, and the program got inadvertently changed. I think this is less likely.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:15 AM   #5

Double check your connections. Some monitors have ports for dual or multiple cameras, make sure you're plugged into the right one. If originally wired to turn on automatically when going into reverse your system appears to be doing what it should, but no signal is reaching the monitor. You could check connectors and continuity in your cable just for the heck of it.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #6

Perhaps I should provide more detail. The Weldex monitor is the original installed in my 2004 Bounder. It is the only piece of equipment that does not have documentation. There is no model number on the front and I cannot see the sides or back. I cannot find any similar model online. Unlike newer models, there are no buttons along the bottom. Along the right side are 3 buttons
ON/SB
CAMERA - CA1, CA2 (Although I can find only one input socket)

DAY/NIGHT

and 3 knobs controls
Brightness
Contrast
Sound volume

I have determined that the 4 wires between the camera and monitor are +12V, Ground, Video, Audio so cannot understand how replacing this cable could interact with the Reverse position.

I did not disconnect the power cable and I cannot find any switches or other controls on the rear of the monitor that I may have accidentally changed. There is no problem with the picture. It is total clear and steady except that it disappears in the Reverse gear position.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions but am still totally stumped.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

Seeing the CAMERA - CA1/CA2 button must have triggered something in my mind. I have very poor access to the back of the monitor and did not realize that there were two inputs. I ran my fingers across the back of the monitor and found the other one. I moved the cable and everything works. Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

It's the only thing it could have been. Glad you're up and working again. Cheers.

Tags
camera