Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
refer igniter will not fire

Dometic, Americana. Dinosaur control.
Replaced igniter and reigniter but igniter still will not fire.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
YC1

Use a 12 volt test light on the wire to the ignitor board. Use a voltmeter at the same time. If your voltage holds good then place the voltmeter and test light on the ground wire. Have someone cycle the refer on and off during this test if possible. Slowy of course.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Use a 12 volt test light on the wire to the ignitor board. Use a voltmeter at the same time. If your voltage holds good then place the voltmeter and test light on the ground wire. Have someone cycle the refer on and off during this test if possible. Slowy of course.
!2 volts are coming into the reigniter, but nothing is comming out.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
YC1

Tile man, measuring 12 volts with a digital voltmeter can trick you. The load the ignitior tries to take could drop the voltage so fast the voltmeter does not respond and you can miss a weak supply voltage or ground. Using the test light will put enough of a load to keep from getting burned. No pun.

I would assume you have cleaned the ignitor end and the gas orofice so the spark can jump. I suppose the ignitor wire/lead could short out as well.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Tile man, measuring 12 volts with a digital voltmeter can trick you. The load the ignitior tries to take could drop the voltage so fast the voltmeter does not respond and you can miss a weak supply voltage or ground. Using the test light will put enough of a load to keep from getting burned. No pun.

I would assume you have cleaned the ignitor end and the gas orofice so the spark can jump. I suppose the ignitor wire/lead could short out as well.
I replaced the igniter and the wire to it. The gas is fine. I can light it by hand. I didn't use a test light. I'll go over the voltage again. I think your thinking is correct. It's probably a voltage problem.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tileman View Post
I replaced the igniter and the wire to it. The gas is fine. I can light it by hand. I didn't use a test light. I'll go over the voltage again. I think your thinking is correct. It's probably a voltage problem.

Thanks for the input.

Another method is to run a long wire from the battery outside the rv. Do put a fuse on the battery end for safety. Just substitute the wire. You probably have a little terminal strip nearby.

Did your ignitor come with the sparky probe thingy too? Some circuit boards get tripped and have to be reset. I know you replaced yours but if the original one was not really bad, just needed a reset, then you may have a different issue. In any case, the voltage and ground must be good first.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
YC1, Thank you for taking the time to try and help me. I think I should start from the beginning. The refer wouldn't switch to gas. I pulled the cover to check it out. When it tried to switch to propane, I could see the ignitor wire arcking to the Solenoid valve. A high voltage short. I replaced the ignitor which came with a new better insolated lead wire. It didn't fix the problem. I replaced the preignitor. Didn't fix the problem.

I decided to check the burner. I hand lite it with a long BBQ butane lighter. The burner fired right up. As i withdrew the BBQ lighter, the solenoid valve burst into flames, bad propane leak. Now I will be replacing the solenoid valve. I was very lucky I didn't blow up the entire RV and myself.

Here's another question. When I replaced the preignitor, I didn't mark the wires when I took them off. The bottom terminal of the preignitor is marked "+", the obvious black ground wire was on that terminal. Was that hooked up wrong?

Well, only 2 more items I can replace, solenoid valve and Micro P-711 Dinosaur.

Anything you can pass on would be appriciated.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
YC1

Thanks for getting back. Glad you survived the incident. I can relate. I cleared all of the spider webs out of the back of mine one day.

DO NOT make assumptions in RV wiring about polarity. Black can easily be positive. I think it may come from AC wiring using the Black as the hot lead.

Shame on you for not sharing all the facts at first. This is why I will tell someone that they may hear the same question three of four times. Often it will ellicit some tid bit of information that resolves the issue. However, letting the smoke out is pretty important.

You should get a nice snap snap snap if the ignitor is working as you discovered. While you have the thing apart blow some air into the chimney to clear any debris. They actually have a heat spreader shaped like an S inside suspended from the top. Very hard to reach in some cases. Your mileage may vary but check out your manual for maintenance tips.