Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
refrig fan mod anybody ?

alright who has added the refrig fan mod ? and do you notice a difference ? getting ready to order one of these Refrigerator Fan w/ON-OFF switch to INCREASE cooling standard model Dometic Refrigerator Fan w on Off Switch to Increase Cooling Standard Model | eBay your thoughts and comments welcome
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Community Administrator

A lot of members have installed these. Here's a link to a few previous threads.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Refri...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
placed a five inch computer fan in mine at it is easily the easiest, finest, cheapest most effective modification I have done. Eliminates frost buildup ans disperses cooling evenly around the fridge for even temps. I think three inch fan is plenty to do the job.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bought mine but haven't installed it yet. Still trying to figure out how to "mount" it to the fins?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Still trying to figure out how to "mount" it to the fins?
I used this:

Works fine. About as easy as it gets.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It holds even when the fins start to ice?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Bought mine but haven't installed it yet. Still trying to figure out how to "mount" it to the fins?
Drill hole in binder clip, small screw and nut it to fan with ground wire between. Just press clip onto fin. Almost 10,000 miles on the clip mod and still works great. BTW fan 4 years old and on second RV. Will eventually develop noisy bearings. Remove label from center of fan blade and put in one drop of oil. Enjoy no defrosting and more even frig temps.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
It holds even when the fins start to ice?
Yup! Actually, there's no ice buildup with the fan running. I wired mine so the fans run whenever the refrigerator is on.

I've used the refrigerator with the fans installed the past two summers (~ 3 months continuous use both summers) without any problem with the fans sticking in place.

Lots easier than drilling, etc.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

You take the ground wire and solder it to an alligator clip using enough wire that will allow you room to hang the clip on top of one of the fins. The other wires goes to the constant 12 VDC positive connector on the ceiling of your fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine came with an alligator clip on a short cable. I didn't know about just hanging off the fins.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The alligator clip & wire is your ground. The other wire is for your 12 VDC positive to power the fan.

You need to be hooked up to both for it to work properly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put velcro in the right upper corner above the fins, same on the side of the fan and stuck it up there, hasn't budged in 30K miles. Alligator clip to the fins for ground, white duct tape to secure the hot wire to the sides which runs to the light, stripped some wire on the end used the female lead from the light and just pushed it on with the fan wire wedged in the fitting and I have been in business every since.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/holy-...ml#post1689375

Works great, in my fridge, in the outside access, is a small junction block marked 12V + (-)

Tags
fan