Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Refrigerator& driving( nube question)

The owners manual says the fridge has to be level when in use to prevent damage, so can yo ustill have it operating while driving, as obviously you will encounter hills.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You bet you can run your fridge while moving. Level... is a relative term and most modern units are pretty tolerant.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

Yes, from what I,ve experienced , the frig has to be unlevel for several hours before it shuts down. I,ve always kept mine running while on the road. I did mess up and parked it at my house on a slant after we got back from a trip. Came out the next day and frig had tripped off. I had to go to the web to find out how to reset the control board on the frig. Sorry to say I had not found this site at that time. I reset the board and frig came back up. Anyway, you should be alright on the road .

J
Old 07-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #4

The reason it needs to be level is so the coolant will flow properly. As long as you are moving, the motion will keep things moving. If I plan to park with it unlevel for more than 15 minutes or so, I turn the refer off. The refer will stay cold for many hours if the door is kept closed.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

Would you rather have Propane or Ptomaine?
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep her on ---over hill and dale-----when you get where you are going have a cool one. They make them that way.

Mine has been from sea level to 8500 feet---never whimpered never quit. Yours will as well.

I'm always amazed that they are designed so well the flame does not blow out at speeds.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We travel with our gas OFF. Heard one report too many of accidents where the LP tank being on was a major issue including one Class A where they had a tire blowout, rolled the coach off the interstate and were burned to death, although they were probably unconcious from the impact.

If in the cooler months, currently designed reefers can maintain adequate internal temps for a day's worth of traveling, assuming that you restrict how much it is opened.

If in the warmer (ok, hotter nowadays) months, we usually run with the generator on for the AC and the frig. We run the AC, because for the most part it is cheaper than the dash air.

In a way, you are fortunate having a Class C with a nice overhang, versus my huge expanse of glass that does nothing but generate heat, more as the day progresses. Believe me, at the end of a day on the road in this heat, you are glad to have something cold at the day's end.
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is enough sloshing and movement to keep it working OK. If you stop and run it while unlevel...now you will do damage. The owners manual for the frig has the specks for the amount of unlevel that your system will tolerate.

Ken