Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
I saw Rockingtom's post of 0.6 amps for the heater, but I measured mine and I swear (memory?) it was upwards of 2 amps. I confirmed this by placing tape over the door connections and noting the difference.

So when dry camping to save my weak batteries I placed a piece of tape over the door connections, which was fine until I forgot about the tape. Later when cleaning the fridge I discoverd excessive moisture and small amounts of mold in the crevices of the door seal. Tape was removed and moisture problem was fixed!!! Memory problem still exists.
Roadking,

Thanks for the new insight. Over in the Excel Owners Forum Rockintom is pretty much the authoritative voice on all matters large and small (Just ask him). So, if by chance you catch him on this one and maybe one or two more, the guys may dub you SKIA II.

Where can I find the "door connections"? I've looked at both the freezer and the refrigerator doors and can't find anything that looks like an electrical contact. (Maybe SKIA knows. )
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #16

I stand corrected on the current draw of the humidity heater. Checking my service manual it states 0.7 amps for the heater. This is a Norcold 1201LRIM which is a four door model. The fans draw 0.3 amps each (0.6 total). These are nominal draws at 12VDC. My memory failed me again!!

The humidity heater is attached to the left door and the electrical connection is via two button contacts located on the left door hinge side about 6 inches down from the top of the door. These contacts are brass in color and are about 7/16 inch in diameter. THere is a matching set of contacts in both the door and in the sidewall of the fridge and these make contact when the door is closed.

FYI -- when the heater is activated it will feel very slightly warm to the touch.... I'm guessing maybe 80 to 90 degrees F maximum.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #17

Some additional Norcold 12VDC info - If you nave an ice-maker and the heat tape on the water lines (note these are thermostatically controlled to come at around 35degreeF but this external mount location of the thermostat may not be ideal - mounting location might be too warm to be useful):

ice maker water line feed heat tape - 1.3A
water solenoid valve heat tape - 0.5A
water dispenser feed line heat tape - 0.2A

Total above water line heat tape = 2.0A @ 12VDC (these are all actual measured values)

The exterior (chimney vent) fans in my rig are rated (per label on the fans) at 0.4A @ 12VDC each, there are two.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
HEY GUYS!

Remember on this issue, as I mentioned, I just reported what my contact guy at Norcold service desk gave me. I copied the comments from his email and made them red in color. I'm just the messenger on this one. SKIA cover his tail on this one! Also remember, he got an IQ the hovers from 14 to 15! Ain't too darn smart, he's plenty happy! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #19

FWIW, my Norcold 841 nameplate says it draws 1.2ADC whether it is running on 120VAC or propane.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote