Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Refrigerator door latch for house fridge

Some of the members here have converted their RV fridge to a home style. I was wondering which one (if any) you used and if you like it or not. Any information is appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a little confused. Your title is about a door latch for a fridge? Are you looking for info about latches or possible brands of residential refrigerators? I know several members have replaced their refrigerators with residential models, so hopefully they will chime in.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm looking for a door latch to keep a house fridge closed while driving. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Here's the latch I used, it is the same latch that Monaco uses on their new refers.

Sliding Door Latches | HC-85 LATCH FOR SLIDING DOOR

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I'm looking for a door latch to keep a house fridge closed while driving. Sorry for the confusion.
No problem! I am easily confused.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
Here's the latch I used, it is the same latch that Monaco uses on their new refers.

Sliding Door Latches | HC-85 LATCH FOR SLIDING DOOR

Dennis
Ahh, very nice latch. I haven't seen this one before. Is there any chance you could post a picture or two to show how it's installed on the fridge doors? I would happily drive out to a dealer and look at one, but there is not a Monaco dealer in the whole state of Georgia now, at least according to their website.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Some of the members here have converted their RV fridge to a home style. I was wondering which one (if any) you used and if you like it or not. Any information is appreciated.
Have you actually done the reefer swap yet? If so, which residential reefer? If not, which ones are you considering?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
paz

I was very hesitant to drill holes anywhere around the perimeter of the door of our residential fridge because most refrigerators have what are called Yoder loops around the face of the door openings. The Yoder loops carry refrigerant from the warm side of the coils to keep condensation away from the doors. Drilling into one of the loops will render your refrigerator inoperative.

We have a Samsung RF197 French door fridge. I used Velcro looped around the handles of the upper refrigerator doors and child-proof latches on both sides of the lower freezer drawer. The latches will also work on the edge of the doors of a 2-door fridge. The latches fasten with double-faced adhesive, so there are no holes to drill. We got our latches at Walmart, but they are also available on Amazon.

Part of the latch fastens to the freezer drawer (or door of a 2-door fridge). It can be locked in the open position by pushing on the red button when you're stationary so you don't have to remember to unlatch it every time you open the freezer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freezer Latch_0022 small.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	37342

The other part of the latch fastens to the side of the fridge box.

Name:	Freezer Latch_0001 small.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	37343
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #9

I dont understand the desire to use a 110volt residential refer. Understand ALL about the fire hazard of absorption fridges.

How do you you keep your food between power posts?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I dont understand the desire to use a 110volt residential refer. Understand ALL about the fire hazard of absorption fridges.

Our RR is powered off an inverter. The MH alternator keeps the house batteries charged while on the road. We got tired of food spoiling prematurely and soupy ice cream. With a residential refer, food last as long as it would at home, ice cream is rock-hard, and we have all the ice we can use.

Some folks have even installed small residential refers in travel trailers with no inverter. They find the fridge stays plenty cold enough for several hours while on the road if you keep the door closed. Obviously not a good solution for a 12-hour drive, but OK for weekend getaways several hours from home.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
It really depends on what type and model of fridge that you choose. My Samsung RF197 has French Doors so I use a small 14 inch Velcro strap to keep the French doors secured and for the freezer drawer I use a small L bracket and pin.

Photos attached.

Quote:

We keep our food inside the fridge all of the time unless we decide to use some.

Well kidding aside, when not using those "power posts", our engine is providing plenty of power or the generator is programmed to kick in when our house battery bank is 50% SOC.

The fridge is always plugged into an Inverter driven 120 VAC duplex so when shore power has been severed, the Inverter takes over immediately. It is seamless with no loss of power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Samsung French Door Lock CU.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	37351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung Freezer Drawer Lock.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	37352  

Name:	Samsung Freezer Drawer Lock Key.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	37353  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
A strip of Velcro works great, when wrapped around the handles. Available at most hardware stores.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Have you actually done the reefer swap yet? If so, which residential reefer? If not, which ones are you considering?
Bruce, I already have the fridge. It is a 10 cf Whirlpool, bought from Lowes. I suspect you're particularily interested in this swap, as you have a Holiday Rambler about the same year as mine was. I just wanted to tell you that I don't have the HR anymore, so I don't know if the fridge would fit well in a HR or not, although I suspect it will. You would definitely need to check the width though.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

My story is pretty much the same as PAZ replied above. The fridge runs off the inverter going down the road or whenever you're not plugged in. My battery bank will carry it overnight if needed. The door on my fridge is not opened/closed a lot, so it doesn't have to run all that much. If you had kids, it would probably run a lot more.

Tags
door, fridge, refrigerator