Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Refrigerator Door Open During Storage

We have had a number of RVs ranging from a pop-up to our current class A. We have always left the refrigerator doors open while in storage to stop mold from accumulating.

My daughter and husband just picked up their pop-up from the dealer where it was in for service for the last 6 to 8 weeks. The refrigerator was closed during this time and there was mold on the inside. The service technician told them that they should keep the doors closed and place some crumpled up newspaper inside to absorb any moisture. My daughter told him that we had always left the doors open on our RVs. He told them that we should also keep our doors closed and if we don't, the door seals will dry out and go bad.

We have had some of our previous RVs for over 10 years each and have never had a problem leaving the doors open. Am I just lucky? What do you do?

wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
I've never heard that leaving the door(s) closed was the right thing to do.

Let's see, he said use newspaper to absorb moisture, but leaving the door open would dry the seals out. Sounds contradictory.

I always leave them open. It can get pretty funky with the door closed.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #3

If that is true, how come my Damon coach came with the little blue plastic clips that fit in the latchs on the doors to keep them open during storage?
Old 07-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As with MOST RV sales people and service people, you can pretty much forget anything they tell you. You can used crumpled up newspaper inside a frig for long term storage ONCE it is thoroughly dry. You can also add charcoal or coffee grounds to absorb moisture.

Leaving it closed with the slightest bit of moisture can cause mold and the steel on the coils will rust. We have had RVs since 1984 and always store with the frig doors propped open. We now have a 30 year old Silver Streak that we replaced the frig this year. It belonged to the F-I-L and it was used a lot, but always stored with the frig open to dry out. Worked for 30 years for them and we never had any problems with ours.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #5

Like my Dad used to say, "let a man talk and he'll tell you how smart he is". Apply that to the "service tech", then forget what he said.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every RV fridge owner's manual I said and in fact every REFRIGERATOR owners manual I've seen said keep the door OPEN during storage. And I've seen quite a few of them, though I'm no professional
Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #7

I was going to post a reply about this but it appears everyone else has it figured out. I can hardly stand the smell of a warm refrigerator that has been closed up even for a couple of days.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all of your replies. I think I will continue to keep the doors open just like I have for the last 25 years.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Clean interior of refrigerator with Fantastik

Fantastik cleaner is the best to use on the interior of refrigerators. It will kill mold and the soapy residue will prevent rust.

My dad was in the business. My job was to clean them.

We once picked up a contract to do the warranty repairs on a unnamed brand of refrigerators. Part of the contract required us to repair, and make ready to re-sale, 150 units that failed and were exchanged when only a few weeks old and then stored in a warehouse for two years, with the doors closed.

Fantastik and a gas mask were required.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #10

I keep mine open using the manufacturers provided tabs to do so. One time I got burned by Rv Techs who closed it up while in their service bay for some months. Now I keep a bag of old fashioned untreated charcoal on hand for when the rig goes in for service. A lunch bag, one quarter full of the untreated briquettes, left in the fridge and everything is much nicer when I get it back.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #11

Ken said it. When the salesman's lips are moving...
Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #12

I leave mine open for the last 20 yrs with no problem and I always place a box of arm and hammer soda with the top open and it keeps it nice and fresh when I put it back in service I coat the frt of the box where the gasket seals ans it makes it seal much better and keeps it from sticking
Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every refrigerator owner's manual, both RV and other types, Every "How to" book I've ever read. Every one I've ever talked to.

All say Leave the doors open
Old 09-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboss619 View Post
... when I put it back in service I coat the frt of the box where the gasket seals ans it makes it seal much better and keeps it from sticking

I wonder what he coats it with.