RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

Refrigerator/level question

So I know that on propane, I should not have the refrigerator on if the rig is not level. I have to leave it in our driveway for a day to load up and it will be at a pretty good slope. Is it ok to use leave the refrigerator on if I am plugged in to power and run it on electric?

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
NO, it needs to be level wheather using propane or electric. Its says that in your operators manual.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
NO, it needs to be level wheather using propane or electric. Its says that in your operators manual.

X2!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:08 AM   #4

High much of a slope is driveway?
Too much that trailer front has to be raised very high to level....

Then park it in street.....level it side to side AND Front to rear then run extension cord to trailer. Could juts plug fridge into extension cord if you don't have heavy gauge cord.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
The LP or electric is only how it heats the boiler on the frig and as others said level both ways.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
High much of a slope is driveway?
Too much that trailer front has to be raised very high to level....

Then park it in street.....level it side to side AND Front to rear then run extension cord to trailer. Could juts plug fridge into extension cord if you don't have heavy gauge cord.
Can't put it the street. Will just turn off and throw some frozen water bottles in to keep it cool overnight. No big deal was just wondering. Owner's manual wasn't perfectly clear but knew someone here would be.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Either moving, or level, when the fridge is on. The damage is permanent, cannot be reversed. Pre-cool the fridge on level ground before parking on a slope, then shut it off. If you have to fill it, fill it with pre-cooled products, and maybe a block or bag of ice until you can turn it back on again.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The fun of having an absorption frig. The wife won't understand.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #9

Absorbing refrigerator leveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
So I know that on propane, I should not have the refrigerator on if the rig is not level. I have to leave it in our driveway for a day to load up and it will be at a pretty good slope. Is it ok to use leave the refrigerator on if I am plugged in to power and run it on electric?

Thanks,
I worked for Norcold for several years in the research and development dept. 3 degrees off level front of coach to back and 6 degrees side to side. Much more than that it will cook the fluids inside, that are pumped up by the heat and gravity fed back to the pot at the bottom. That's how it works in a nut shell. Just a note if you smell ammonia inside your refrigerator and it not getting cold the cooling system is leaking. The solution inside the cooling system is ammonia based. Probably way more than people wanted to know but it was fun designing refrigerators.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #10

One of these will shut the fridge off is the slope is too much.

https://www.arprv.com/
35' 5thCustomized-16"Frame-240gFW-120gBlack-120gGrey-2"XPSTank Insulation-2x8K TimbrenSTI-TusonABS -900AhCrownFLA -BlueSea8264 -3KVictronMulti+GX+600W Xantrax-2K Solar-ARP Alarm-100gal ASME Propane -50A ProNautic-Propex 2800-2x300C Viair-17.5 Alcoa+TOYO1430
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 AM   #11

Go to wally world and get 8 pounds of dry ice. Keep it wrapped in news paper and put it some in the freezer some on the top shelf in the food box. Let that cool it down. Put some water bottles in there to freeze over night. Load the next morning and your on your way. You can run it on propane while your driving (firing line open:-) to keep it cool.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
One of these will shut the fridge off is the slope is too much.

https://www.arprv.com/

X2! Great insurance!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
X2! Great insurance!

Yes after it starts heating to the set point which is a little bit adjustable.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #14

Cool norcold on the level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Go to wally world and get 8 pounds of dry ice. Keep it wrapped in news paper and put it some in the freezer some on the top shelf in the food box. Let that cool it down. Put some water bottles in there to freeze over night. Load the next morning and your on your way. You can run it on propane while your driving (firing line open:-) to keep it cool.
I had to go back a read the manual again on this and it is as you stated, it is possible to run the fridge while traveling on Propane. Any guess how this is possible if it is so sensitive to Level when stopped. I am used to seagoing systems that can't be level sensitive so this has me baffled first why would someone build it this way and then how the heck can you drive through the smokey Mtns. Please be careful in your response I am quite flammable and just got my first TT.

seamutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator