RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Refrigerator Smell

I have a 2010 class A. We had to leave it at a Florida repair center last summer for over a week in the hot parking lot, waiting for a engine control module that had gone bad. We had fresh vegetables in the refrigerator. Thinking that the repair would be made in a couple of days, I left the refrigerator on and the windows open. Unfortunately, we had to leave town on a family emergency in our tow car. I called the repair facility a few days later to tell them to turn the refrigerator off and distribute the food as they saw fit. They called back a day or two later and told me that the refrigerator had been turned off for some reason and that the food was rotten. Instead of taking the food out of the refrigerator, they left it in with the door closed! It took at least a day to clean that refrigerator, but we've never gotten the smell out. I've tried all I know to try: thoroughly cleaned several times with mixtures of alcohol or pine sol or baking soda or bleach. Nothing seems to work, although the odor is much better. I also keep fresh open boxes of baking soda in the refrigerator when the door is closed. When we're not using the MH, I keep both refrigerator doors open, and the smell seems to go away. However, if I have the doors closed even for a short time, the smell comes back. Does anyone have another idea that I might try? I'd appreciate any help. Komac

komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This works on coolers.

Wipe the interior with paper towels soaked in natural vanilla extract and leave the soaked paper towels in the fridge for a day or longer. Imitation extract doesn't work.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi komac,
Dirk has a proven suggestion. Also, consider Googling "refrigerator oder removal". There are many choices to read up on and try.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Commercial Member

If you wash the inside with a good house hold cleanser first and then go back with a good rinse down with a good vanilla extract added to the rinse water. That will give you a clean and a good smelling refrigerator without harm. Hope this helps...
dforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

Boy can I relate to that. We've had charcole and baking soda in our freezer all winter since finding the frozen hamburg that was left in the freezer for two weeks after returning from a trip. If the smell is still bad when the weather warms up we'll give the vanilla thing a try. And for the rest of you DOUBLE CHECK YOUR FRIDGE after EVERY trip. Rotten meat , well, there is no way to discribe that smell.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #6

I read a couple times to place a plate of ground coffee to absorb odors.No personal experience.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #7

I had that situation once. I used a cleaning wipe that I believe had bleach and smelled like oranges. It both cleaned great, quick, and no lingering odor. I did rinse and dry after though as the wipes had cleaning agents.

I did not have meats, but the veggies were necrotic lol.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After cleaning out my home frig before the last long distance move, I placed a small bag of charcoal briquettes inside -- top and bottom -- then taped the doors shut. Smelled fresh when plugged in.

Kitty litter might help get rid of your squid stink.
Barb
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
This works on coolers.

Wipe the interior with paper towels soaked in natural vanilla extract and leave the soaked paper towels in the fridge for a day or longer. Imitation extract doesn't work.

I have used this method a couple of times with great results, give it a try.
Navy Techrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I'm going to try the vanilla extract idea today. I got the "pure" extract yesterday at the local grocery store. I didn't realize how expensive it was for a small bottle, but a clean smelling refrigerator is well worth the price. Komac

komac is offline   Reply With Quote