Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

Refrigerator while MH at storage

Hi All
Since I live in a condo there is no room to park MH at home. I rented a space at a storage facility and there is no power there.
Would someone like this leave the fridge on, on gas and have small solar panel to keep batteries good or should install and inverter and big solar panels and keep fridge run on 120 volts.
I don't really like the idea of picking up MH and have a warm fridge after the week being off.
Any ideas
Many Thanks
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #2

If you are close by, I would just turn it on the day before you intend to use the MH. I wouldn't let it run while in a storage yard for any extended time
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

Highball... I have been reading the threads and have seen more than a few posts where an RV was damaged by a fire caused by the refrig. Gas OFF is my opinion during storage....if you can run the frig on electric and have the means of doing such OR Solar electric like some are able...that is a different situation.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would suggest to shut off the gas to the coach while in storage. The day or two before a trip go to the coach and turn on the refrigerator. While there do the rest of the preflight check - tire pressures, engine fluids, battery levels, etc. This will make for fewer surprises the day of the trip, when surprises are not a good thing.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #5

You should check your rental agreement closely. The company may not allow you to run anything while the MH is unattended in storage.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #6

Gas off and fridge should be off, too, and you should prop open the doors to ensure no mold grows therein. I've found if you put some frozen and/or cold food in the fridge and turn it on just before leaving on your trip the fridge will take about three hours to get cold.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #7

Norcold Refrig in Storage

There are two issues here. The first has to do with the recall fixes in Norcold fridges due to fires. The problem here is that if your battery voltage falls below 10 V while running on batteries, it will fault and there is no way to get it going again without an expensive repair. It's most likely not covered by Norcold or any extended warranty. So if your battery voltage and your batteries are good, you can fire it up the night before.

This only works if the refer is fairly level. If not and the refer can't adequately cool, you'll find the unit has shut down when you come back the next morning and has to be reset, which is no small task if in fact it can be done with the new features brought on by the recall.

Second, is that all LP/Elec fridge manufacturers recommend loading cold food.

What I've found works even when the refer starts out in the 60 degree range is to load some frozen food from my deep freezer , along with a 1 gallon of frozen water in the freezer section. I also load 1 gallon of the frozen water along with my cold food in the refer section. The refer chills pretty quickly that way and I've never had any spoiled food. If space is a problem, the water can be removed once the refer has reached the proper temp.
kenny449 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, storage