Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Refrigerator won't get below 48 deg.

I have a Norcold N822 (IIRC) 2-door refrig. We left the door open and is froze out. Had a 1 1/2 " block of ice in the bottom of the freezer. We defrosted it and fired it back up for a 4 day dry camping trip to the desert. Well the freezer drops to 0 deg but the lowest we can get the refrig is 48 deg.

Ideas please and thanks.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #2

If you have stocked non-pre-cooled stuff in the refer (i.e. stuff that was at room temp) it is going to take days (depending on how much stuff) to chill it off. It's a draw back to absorption refers - low heat capacity.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Had a similar problem with Dometic. Fridge temp stayed between 46 and 52. They said it was OK, I fussed. Four refigerators later, we ripped it out, and went with a slide in residential unit. Works perfect...and...it isn't a fire hazard. A real plus!
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #4

40F is the max recommended to keep food cold. I like mine at 32 to 34F as I like my stuff cold.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
During the summer, our Dometic RM2852 was having a hard time keeping the fridge temp below 42-44*. I installed a 12v computer cooling fan behind the access panel and directed the airflow straight up. With the fan running, I can maintain a constant 34* in the fridge now!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
During the summer, our Dometic RM2852 was having a hard time keeping the fridge temp below 42-44*. I installed a 12v computer cooling fan behind the access panel and directed the airflow straight up. With the fan running, I can maintain a constant 34* in the fridge now!
EMD_DRIVER - I have a Dometic RM 2354 which is smaller than your fridge but have similar cooling problems when the outside air temps get into the 90's. I might try your "trick". Is your fan mounted behind the fridge and blowing air over the coils?
diepenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #7

The Dometic OEM refrigerator cooling fans are place above the heating coils, in the vent stack. You will find the instructions here: RV manuals
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I have a Norcold N822 (IIRC) 2-door refrig. We left the door open and is froze out. Had a 1 1/2 " block of ice in the bottom of the freezer. We defrosted it and fired it back up for a 4 day dry camping trip to the desert. Well the freezer drops to 0 deg but the lowest we can get the refrig is 48 deg.

Ideas please and thanks.
We got home y'day and unloaded the refrig. This AM the temp inside was 27 °. Definitely overloading with hot 'stuff' Thanks all.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by diepenj View Post
EMD_DRIVER - I have a Dometic RM 2354 which is smaller than your fridge but have similar cooling problems when the outside air temps get into the 90's. I might try your "trick". Is your fan mounted behind the fridge and blowing air over the coils?

Sorry I don't have any pictures yet.. I tapped into the fridge 12v power supply and used two female spade connectors as a fuse holder. The fan I used, was for mounting in a computer expansion slot. It has the screw slot, where it was mounted in the computer. I straightened it and used a wood screw, to mount it at the top of the opening. It blows straight up and does a wonderful job of keeping the fridge cool!

Here is a picture, of the type of fan I used..

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
...Definitely overloading with hot 'stuff'...
And that will do it every time and generates the vast majority of "its not working" complaints (when it IS in fact working perfectly correctly).

Absorption units EASILY gets as cold or colder than residential compressor units, BUT have significantly less ability to "cool as fast" as a compressor unit. Excessive opening and closing the doors on an absorption unit is all it takes to keep them running overtime. Then load a fresh load of room temp supplies, and well, you felt the result - days trying to cool it down.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator