Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Refrigerators

We are looking to purchase a high-end fifth whell. We are torn as to the refer configuration we want/need.
Any input on whether to go residential with inverter or a standard gas/electric RV refer?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Happy Holidays,
David
david1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Absorption works very well. Ours makes copious ammounts of ice if needed.

We travel, and can keep the food fresh with propane. At the campground, 110 volt will automatically take over.

I can see why you are thinking this through carefully. BTW, is the inverter model quiet?

Happy Holidays David!
sailorbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I like the flexibility of gas/elec
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to iRV2. Are you going to be full-timing in your 5er or just vacationing? I think if you are parked (with full hookups) most of the time, the residential would be the best choice. If you are going to be traveling a lot, I would think the gas/elec might work better. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi david1959,
Welcome to iRV2. My next coach will be all electric. A residential refer, for me is the way to go. Size matters (bigger is better), frost free, auto defrost, very fast cool down, etc, etc.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Hello and welcome to iRV2. Are you going to be full-timing in your 5er or just vacationing? I think if you are parked (with full hookups) most of the time, the residential would be the best choice. If you are going to be traveling a lot, I would think the gas/elec might work better. Good luck.

With ice and water in the door.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1959 View Post
We are looking to purchase a high-end fifth whell. We are torn as to the refer configuration we want/need.
Any input on whether to go residential with inverter or a standard gas/electric RV refer?

Happy Holidays,
David
In most cases the option of a residential refrigerator also includes a larger inverter and battery bank. I would check what is included in the option.
Personally, I prefer the residential.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #8

If I ever own another Rv I will never own another gas absorption refrigerator unless Norcold starts using the Amish cooling unit.. Fire hazard, poor performance in hot weather & slow cool down time are my major complaints.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1959 View Post

Happy Holidays,
David
I think the answer is simple and all about how you plan to use your fiver. IF you are going to connected to shore power at least 90 percent of your time in the RV then go with a residential refer. Get a separate inverter / battery bank for the times that you aren't.

IF you are going to be off the grid for any significant amount of your RVing then you need to be able to refrigerate without relying on battery power. That means a LP gas absorption capable product.

Personally, I like the flexibility of being off the grid for extended periods but if I was a full-timer I'd probably go with a residential refer.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #10

When we had our 5th wheel we had a residential fridge. Sure wish we had one in the motor home. Better performance all around, hands down.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Residential fridge is the only choice I would make.

I put up with a lousy performing Norcold aka NotSoCold RV type fridge for over 8 years. I finally had a Samsung residential installed last April. It is by far the very BEST upgrade I have ever done to my coach.

Oh, BTW, have you been keeping track of how many people have lost their RV to a fridge fire?

The residential fridge even if you travel a lot is well worth the investment. No defrosting, no throwing out spoiled food. Really hard ice cream and frozen ice cubes. No doors falling off anymore. I can go on and on with the problems I had with a RV type fridge.

When you purchasing a new high end rig, this is the time to make that decision so the battery bank, inverter and space can be modified to accommodate the fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
That is an interesting question Richard. How many HAVE lost an RV due to a refer fire and where did you find the stats?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=f14av8r;1391074]

"IF you are going to be off the grid for any significant amount of your RVing then you need to be able to refrigerate without relying on battery power. That means a LP gas absorption capable product."

Not necessarily so; We are fulltimers with a residential and 95% of the time we are off grid.
With the proper sized battery bank and reasonable attention to power usage one can do just fine without an absorbtion unit.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=az bound;1391144]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post

"IF you are going to be off the grid for any significant amount of your RVing then you need to be able to refrigerate without relying on battery power. That means a LP gas absorption capable product."

Not necessarily so; We are fulltimers with a residential and 95% of the time we are off grid.
With the proper sized battery bank and reasonable attention to power usage one can do just fine without an absorption unit.
AZ Bound,
How do you generate the electricity you need? Solar setup? Generator? Off-grid for 95% of the time and running a residential refer along with your other electrical loads means you have to be producing some serious amp hours somehow. Don't get me wrong. I'm not being critical, I'm honestly interested. We like to spend a lot of time off the grid and I'd like to have a residential but I'm concerned about running out of juice. I've got a nice four cell bank powering a 2000w inverter and I work pretty hard to keep my batteries charged using the generator, especially if I have to run the furnace.
Thanks in advance.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote