Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replacement Inverter Advice

Due to the way our inverter reacts with some of our electronics I have been thinking about upgraded to a Pure Sine Wave. I finally dug behind the panel where our stock inverter resides to see what we have. It is a Magnum MM600.
I don't really think I need more power but it would be nice if it was plug and play to use all the wires and the remote as is, if that is possible.

The size of the current inverter is about 17" long by 8" Wide by 5" Tall

Any suggestions? Advice on installation?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I may have answered my own question, Magnum makes a MMS1012 that at least looks to be exactly the same profile just more wattage and PSW.

This brings up a new question, I see that this has a built in charger which is not something I need, can it be bypassed?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even if it is the same size, when the watts double (almost) you will need larger cables from the battery - unless you never use more than 600 of the 1000 watts.
In that case why pay for the extra watts and the extra charging feature you don't need?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clay I appreciate the response and agree there is no reason for the charging feature I don't need. The battery wire size should be fine even if I went up to a 1000 watt unit (currently #2/0 AWG) so I have some flexibility with regards to that.

At this point I would like some advice on a solid PSW that does not have the battery charging feature and would work well for my needs. It would need a remote can turn the unit on and off and would be nice if it tells me when A/C is hooked up like my current setup.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone tried a Cotek (Samlex) ST600 or ST1000?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #6

Perhaps a Xantrex PROsine 1000 and PROsine remote?
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Perhaps a Xantrex PROsine 1000 and PROsine remote?
I decided to really educate myself on the subject so I called a number of companies today including Xantrex. The tech I spoke with at Xantrex was very familiar with what I currently have and what would be the best fit in their line up. The one that works from them is probably way more power then I need, the PROsine 1800.
The right unit for my needs should be a hard wire unit and have a transfer relay. The 1000 is not a hard wire and does not have a transfer relay. I could buy a external transfer switch but that would just be more wires and time to install.

He sent me this quote from the Xantrex install manual:
If there is an AC outlet on the front of the unit, it is not equipped with an internal transfer switch.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
From what I can read, you have a modified sine wave Magnum 600 Watt that is "hard wired " to your battery bank with#2/00 cable. How is the 110 volt AC delivered to your consumers devices? Is it connected through your main AC panel or do you plug into the inverter directly? If so you wont need a transfer relay. If however the out put of nthe inverter is connected through your AC panel of the rig you will need a relay. I have recently made an install such as this and may be able to help you out.
DZLTEK
Old 11-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLTEK View Post
From what I can read, you have a modified sine wave Magnum 600 Watt that is "hard wired " to your battery bank with#2/00 cable. How is the 110 volt AC delivered to your consumers devices? Is it connected through your main AC panel or do you plug into the inverter directly? If so you wont need a transfer relay. If however the out put of nthe inverter is connected through your AC panel of the rig you will need a relay. I have recently made an install such as this and may be able to help you out.
DZLTEK
Yes the Magnum is hard wired and is connected to my main AC panel from the inverter and then delivered to some outlets in the RV (they are identified by brown covers). The inverter is not accessible without unscrewing a panel under the closet. Transfer relay is a must but I do not need a battery charger. I spoke with a tech at Magnum today and he said to get their MMS1012 and the option remote so I can tell the unit to not charge the battery. That would be a lot of money compared to the other choices I am finding.

So far the Samlex/Cotek ST series with the remote looks like a perfect option for me if they are a decent unit that will last.

Your install advice would be welcome !
Old 11-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #10

Here is the documentation on the MM600 which looks like it is supposed to be wired through a subpanel to provide power to the outlets it services and contains its own internal transfer switch.

http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...%20Series).pdf

Which version do you have(plain, G or AE)?

MM Series Models

MM612
- 600 watt inverter with 7 amp AC transfer relay. The AC input
and output are provided with pigtail wires to allow hardwiring to an AC
distribution panel. Features neutral-to-ground switching for Mobile
applications.
MM612G

- 600 watt inverter with 7 amp AC transfer relay. The AC
input is provided with a flexible cord and a GFCI outlet on the output
for easy connection to your AC appliances; ready to use after
connecting to your batteries. Features neutral-to-ground switching for
Mobile applications.
MM612AE

- 600 watt inverter/charger with 7 amp AC transfer relay
and 30 amp, 4-stage PFC charger. AC input and output provided with
pigtail wires to allow hardwiring to a main AC distribution panel and
inverter sub-panel. Features common input/output neutrals for AE
applications. Includes 15’ battery temperature sensor.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #11

You can get an automatic transfer switch and hardwire a Xantrex PROsine 1000 inverter. Pretty easy install. For around $700 it would satisfy your application, 1000 watts PSW, transfer switch and remote.

"Models available with GFCI AC outlet or AC hardwire terminal strip for permanent installation into an electrical system (optional 15 A transfer switch available with hardwire option)"

So, the Xantrex PROsine 1000 is available as a hardwire unit with a transfer switch, model 806-1002. Don't know why the Xantrex tech did not know this.

http://www.xantrex.com/industry-solu...omparison.aspx

http://www.davesmarineelectronics.co...-806-1002.HTML
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
You can get an automatic transfer switch and hardwire a Xantrex PROsine 1000 inverter. Pretty easy install. For around $700 it would satisfy your application, 1000 watts PSW, transfer switch and remote.

So, the Xantrex PROsine 1000 is available as a hardwire unit with a transfer switch, model 806-1002. Don't know why the Xantrex tech did not know this.

Power Inverters Comparison Chart

Xantrex Prosine 1000 Inverter 12V with AC hardwire & transfer switch 806-1002
I did talk to the tech about that model but it had been discontinued about 2 years ago. If you click the link on the page you listed that says "Buy Product Online" it goes to this:
http://www.davesmarineelectronics.co...OD&ProdID=7799

If you look at other sellers you will see this for example:
Xantrex - 806-1002, Electrical, Inverters, Xantrex Prosine 1000 Hardwire Transfer Sinewave Inverter 12v #806-1002 - FirstChoiceMarine.com

I am doing some research if the Cotek is reliable and so far people who have them on various forums seem to like them. Tt would be $300-400 less expensive compared to the ProSine you listed depending if I got the 600W or the 1000W model.

Do you find that the ProSine is a superior unit to most and / or has other advantages?

Here is the Cotek 1000:
COTEK ST1000-112 1000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Transfer Switch
Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #13

I didn't realize it had been discontinued, sorry. The COTEK looks serviceable. Two year warranty, Taiwanese, what the heck, go for it.

Tags
advice, inverter, replace, replacement