RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

Replacement thermostat for A/C and furnace

Folks,

The original Dometic manual thermostat for our front A/C and furnace has become very inaccurate and also allows the temperature to vary too much. I would like to replace it with a modern electronic programmable thermostat so that we can wake up in the morning to a warm coach. Has anyone made this conversion? If so, what thermostat did you use? We have a Dometic A/C and an Atwood furnace.

Thanks.

Best,

Jim M.
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

jmcgarvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #2

thermostat

This is what I purchased for my Coleman. Amazon. The slide bar thermostats in all my trailers were junk with poor adjustments and wide temp swings. This one works just like home with 1-2 degree differential. Make sure you match AC manufacturer to thermostat. Coleman to coleman, etc.

coleman airxcel 8330-3362 t-stat wall digital heat/cool

sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #3

This is a common replacement for the Coleman analog thermostat but it is not programmable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is programmable and should work as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH...Y54997E3F3WCP6
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
This is a common replacement for the Coleman analog thermostat but it is not programmable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is programmable and should work as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH...Y54997E3F3WCP6

Thanks for the tips. Our old thermostat is a Dometic, not a Coleman, but maybe that doesn't make a difference. The programmable one looks good, but I see it is a household, not RV, unit, so it expects 24 volts instead of 12. I don't know if that could be made to work. Anyone try one in their RV?
Old 12-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #5

If it is a 24 volt powered thermostat it won’t work. The digital thermostat I use for my furnace is powered with 2 “AA” batteries. They generally last for years with light use.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
If it is a 24 volt powered thermostat it won’t work. The digital thermostat I use for my furnace is powered with 2 “AA” batteries. They generally last for years with light use.

Thanks for the input. I think what I am learning is that although many thermostats are designed for 24 volts, they don't need to use that power and run fine off the internal batteries. I think I will give that route a try.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgarvie View Post
Thanks for the input. I think what I am learning is that although many thermostats are designed for 24 volts, they don't need to use that power and run fine off the internal batteries. I think I will give that route a try.
Correct - the batteries run the thermostat. The relays that pass the 24 VAC control power to the AC and Furnace are just as happy to pass the RV's 12 VDC control power.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
The search box on the top right of this page will supply you with hours of reading on this subject.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #9

I have used this one in two different MHs .

Batteries last over a year and let you know when to replace.

Google how to replace RV T stat for wiring.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-12-09-10-51-19.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	268999
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:07 AM   #10

Quote:
I have learned from reading the fine print on the box that the non-programmable replacements are not back lit. Mine was not in my 5er. This time I will buy a programmable because they are back lit and just not uses the program feature.

Cost difference is very slight.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The search box on the top right of this page will supply you with hours of reading on this subject.

Thanks. I have done that and have spent hours researching this. I think I'm about researched out and will go to HD and buy one!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I have learned from reading the fine print on the box that the non-programmable replacements are not back lit. Mine was not in my 5er. This time I will buy a programmable because they are back lit and just not uses the program feature.

Cost difference is very slight.

Good tip. I will make a point of that. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the one I just sent with for both the front and back of my coach.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywel...300B/203539496

I wanted the backlight. As others have said mine uses 2 AAA batteries for power so I did not hook up the negative battery wire, and did not hook up the low fan speed just the high. I recommend taking out the fuse before starting to work and then putting it back in when you are done. I somehow blew the fuse and could not figure out why nothing was working. On the back tstat I did not have a heat wire as well.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #14

Will these work with a/c high and low fan speeds. I remember watching a YouTube with replacing thermostat but they had to install a toggle switch to get the fan to work.

Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, replace, replacement, thermostat