Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Replacing Samsung Microwave that starts by itself

While packing the Mirada to get ready for our winter road trip, all the sudden, the microwave turns on and starts cooking !!!!!!. WTH …

Nothing was in the oven and it turned off when the door was opened. But when the door was closed, it tried to start back up again.

I discovered that Samsung had a recall on these 12 years ago, I'm not sure if they would still honor it, So I decided to replace the oven anyway. Walmart and $63 later, we have a nice new oven.

I did a short article on how I installed and secured the oven.

Replacing Samsung Microwave | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave_5_600.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	147884  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 01:29 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Very nice! If the top gap bugs you, remove rubber feet from bottom of microwave and shim them out 3/8" using washers. This will center unit horizontally.
jflood1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #3

Recalls usually don't expire. Give Samsung a call, maybe you can get a spare.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Hello all,
Second post on iRV2 and it's about the dreaded Samsung Microwave recall.
I found a few threads here about it and wouldn't you know my "New to me" RV has this microwave with this recall.
The folks I bought it from went round and round with Samsung back in 2004 when the recall happened but never ended up getting the rework done to repair the problem but Samsung gave them some money to fix it on their own... They never did it.
Now Samsung won't offer to replace the unit because they sent the $$$ to the old owners using the serial # of the Microwave.
Fast forward to today, I found the part # of the NEW touchpad membrane that will fix this and ordered it on Ebay, $17 shipped and an easy job to replace it.
It took a bit of research but if anyone is interested I'll post a link to the part.

NEW!!! OEM Maytag/Samsung Keypad for DE34-00059L NEW OEM

I hope this helps the next guy that needs this fix!
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
As it turns out this is NOT the correct touchpad... GRRRRrrrrr
Old 05-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Visit a Walmart. For $50 - $70 you can buy a new microwave to replace the 15 year old microwave.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #7

Agreed.
Get a new one.
It'll be a significant upgrade.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:47 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club

Check out this video. I had the same problem with my home unit. I found that the ribbon cable was folded against itself and stuck together with accumulated gunk produced from heat and exhaust from the cooking surface below it. Carefully slide a sharp paring knife in the fold of the cable to free it from itself. After cleaning and drying the cable, I'd suggest insulating it from itself to prevent this from re-occurring. I did so by inserting a piece of paper into the fold between the cable and taping it in place. No further problems 1 year later. Good luck
jflood1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Visit a Walmart. For $50 - $70 you can buy a new microwave to replace the 15 year old microwave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Agreed.
Get a new one.
It'll be a significant upgrade.
That will be the next step, thanks.
I was able to find all the correct parts for the control pad including the upgraded PCB and the touch pad, all the electrical parts on the control panel fairly cheap this morning.
They are on order and I'll change them out next week.
I wish it was just a simple case of tossing this one and replacing with a new unit BUT the cabinet space is pretty specific and this unit is also both the stove light and exhaust fan.
If this doesn't fix it I'll move on to some woodworking for the cabinet, an exhaust fan and lighting for the stove and worry about the microwave later.

In the pic below you can see it's all one unit... Micro/light/fan..