Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

Residential fridge

Okay, we need help. We are in the process of doing research to change from a Dometic refer to a residential fridge. I did a search and am as confused as ever (or more so) so I need a "Refer for Dummies" lesson.
And, I do not use the term dummies loosely.....It's true. I'm technically challenged.

I've read more than once that for most refers a MSW inverter needs to be changed to a PSW. Since we do no boondocking and most likely never will, is this still necessary? Am I correct that the inverter would only come into play if we're not on shore power?

I've read several comments from those that say they turn off their refer for several hours while traveling down the road, and their food and freezer aren't affected. Is this true? I'm having a hard time getting DH to believe it.

Thanks for any help you can give. Aside from the fact the Dometic is a piece of cr#@p, I'm petrified about a fire. I want this thing gone!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Photos of our install. Susan and I removed a window to bring in the refrig. We installed a 20 Cu Ft Whirlpool.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1031785...eat=directlink
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you checked this thread also.
Food will keep for a period of time if door openings are cut down to the minimum, what happens when you have power outage at home same would apply as long as doors are closed food would be OK until the power comes back on.
You can always use your Gen if its really hot.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

Thanks 007. The link you gave me made for some interesting reading and answered my questions. Again, thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing to note in the installation...NEVER use teflon tape on a flare fitting. Never use a compression fitting on a gas line...only flare fittings. The yellow tape is for use on gas line with national pipe thread joints, not flare fittings.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dance Chick......MANY of us are using the Samsung RF197 refer. It fits the opening of a Norcold 4 door with a little enlargement height wise. The Samsung is a good choice because it looks nice, (it's a French door that comes in black, white and Stainless steel) and it converts 110 power to 12 volt internally. For this reason, it doesn't mind being powered by a msw inverter.

I installed one three weeks ago. I have a 2000 watt msw inverter that runs the coach and most people just use this inverter to power the refer. I wanted a separate/smaller inverter for just the refer. I bought a Magnum 800 watt msw inverter to power mine. It has an internal transfer switch which means that when I plug into shore power (just like the larger inverters) it will allow 110 volt power to pass through the inverter and power my refer and not draw off of my batteries.

With all that said, you can buy whatever type of residential refer you would like and then just add a small PSW inverter if that's what's needed.

You can add another inverter to your current battery bank without causing issues to your current inverter.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
Okay, we need help. We are in the process of doing research to change from a Dometic refer to a residential fridge. I did a search and am as confused as ever (or more so) so I need a "Refer for Dummies" lesson.
And, I do not use the term dummies loosely.....It's true. I'm technically challenged.

I've read more than once that for most refers a MSW inverter needs to be changed to a PSW. Since we do no boondocking and most likely never will, is this still necessary? Am I correct that the inverter would only come into play if we're not on shore power?

I've read several comments from those that say they turn off their refer for several hours while traveling down the road, and their food and freezer aren't affected. Is this true? I'm having a hard time getting DH to believe it.

Thanks for any help you can give. Aside from the fact the Dometic is a piece of cr#@p, I'm petrified about a fire. I want this thing gone!!
What are the dimensions of your current reefer?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post

It is not absolutely necessary to change your inverter to PSW. You are correct that the only time your fridge will be operating on the inverter is when you are not connected to shore power. Some people who have installed a residential refrigerator simply turn it off when they are driving. Since you don't boondock and if you don't normally drive long distances and you keep the door closed, this will work because the fridge will not gain that much heat over a few hours. If you are occasionally driving a longer distance, run the genset for part of the time.

Another way to avoid having to change out your inverter is to install a residential refrigerator that will run on MSW. The Samsung RF197 and the RF217 will both operate on MSW with no problem. We have had an RF197 installed for over a year now. The downside to both these Samsungs is they are taller than most refrigerators in the 18 to 21 cu ft size range, and some RVs have a furnace or electrical panel below the fridge that would prevent having enough height. The RF197 and RF217 are both 69 3/4" tall with a minimum of 1/4" recommended vent space at the top.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
+1 for MSW is OK with a Samsung Ours is an RF217. Two seasons with it (winter home) and it has been fine. Honestly we run the generator most of the time while driving so it doesn't run off it much. If it is cool outdoors and we are not connected to shore power for one night we just turn everything off and leave the doors closed. Easy enough to get a few things out ahead of time and put them in a cooler then start up the genny in the morning.

We are parked and plugged in for over 3 months so the double storage space, the fact that it actually keeps food cold and peace of mind that it won't catch on fire made it the best mod we have made to the RV.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #10

Thanks everyone. My questions have been answered. We're putting in a smaller fridge than what I can find with Samsung. I knew the MSW inverter wouldn't be an issue with that brand. We'll do as suggested and run the genny part of the time while traveling, if needed. I think that'll work fine. Thanks again!!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Dance Chick......MANY of us are using the Samsung RF197 refer. It fits the opening of a Norcold 4 door with a little enlargement height wise. The Samsung is a good choice because it looks nice, (it's a French door that comes in black, white and Stainless steel) and it converts 110 power to 12 volt internally. For this reason, it doesn't mind being powered by a msw inverter.

I installed one three weeks ago. I have a 2000 watt msw inverter that runs the coach and most people just use this inverter to power the refer. I wanted a separate/smaller inverter for just the refer. I bought a Magnum 800 watt msw inverter to power mine. It has an internal transfer switch which means that when I plug into shore power (just like the larger inverters) it will allow 110 volt power to pass through the inverter and power my refer and not draw off of my batteries.

With all that said, you can buy whatever type of residential refer you would like and then just add a small PSW inverter if that's what's needed.

You can add another inverter to your current battery bank without causing issues to your current inverter.
Although the Samsung's run fine on the modified sine wave, they are not 12 volt. I thought the same after reading all the posts on the Samsung's. While installing mine, I removed the back cover to secure the unit to the floor. The compressor has a label that says 120VAC. The electronics may be 12 volt, but not the compressor.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gene, we took our Dometic out and put in a Sears Kenmore, 18 CF for under $500.00, we don't have an inverter in our unit. We never dry camp and keep the doors closed while traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new1.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	39766   Click image for larger version

Name:	new fridege.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	39767  

offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
YC1

Do a search for "residential refrigerator" or "samsung"

http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4482682

Diplomat Don just did one. I watched my neighbor change his.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
Gene, we took our Dometic out and put in a Sears Kenmore, 18 CF for under $500.00, we don't have an inverter in our unit. We never dry camp and keep the doors closed while traveling.
Perfect. Answers my question totally. Thanks.

Tags
fridge