RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most newer molels do. Thats not to they all do, but the last one I saw that did not was a 1991 Coachman.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Most newer molels do. Thats not to they all do, but the last one I saw that did not was a 1991 Coachman.
Assuming there is a Diode Isolator or BIRD/IRD and Isolator Solenoid and they are working ...

Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Assuming there is a Diode Isolator or BIRD/IRD and Isolator Solenoid and they are working ...
Agreed.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #46

Lets try and figure out what is needed to support a refrigerator. VT power for NEW efficient refrigerators lists 41 KW's for an 18 cu. ft. fridge and 56 for a 22cuft. sidebyside PER month. So lets use 50KW to make the math easy and have an average. 50 KW per month = 1666 Watts PER DAY. So we divide that by 12 Volts to see how much current we'll need in AmpHours. Turns out that is about 140 amp hours. So you need a battery bank of 280 amp hours (50% rule) just to support the fridge. Given Converter efficiency as less than perfect...I'd up that by 25% or so and call it 400 amp hours. So that is FOUR group 31 batteries in addition to whatever you need for your normal needs of lighting, TV etc. Call that 200 amphours (50% rule again!) for the average bus since that is about what the MFR's give you.
So now we are up to 6 group 31 batteries. Let's assume you can fit that in the coach.
The next problem is replacing the approximately 300 amphours you are going to be taking out per day. If you got a big Magnum Inverter w. 160amp Charger...you could be topping off daily in the 3 hour range in the boonies with the generator.
I would also STRONGLY recommend those batteries be AGM's like Lifelines or Odysseys so you can bulk charge quickly and not be limited by the battery charge acceptance rate.

So...technically it seems quite do-able to me provided you can handle the weight of 400 lbs of batteries & equipment and think a $3-4k investment to support an electric fridge is reasonable.

I'd be interested if anyone takes issue with any of the technical analysis above as I have ZERO coach experience but lots of 12V livving experience and I want to make sure my assumptions hold water.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Lets try and figure out what is needed to support a refrigerator. VT power for NEW efficient refrigerators lists 41 KW's for an 18 cu. ft. fridge and 56 for a 22cuft. sidebyside PER month. So lets use 50KW to make the math easy and have an average. 50 KW per month = 1666 Watts PER DAY. So we divide that by 12 Volts to see how much current we'll need in AmpHours. Turns out that is about 140 amp hours. So you need a battery bank of 280 amp hours (50% rule) just to support the fridge. Given Converter efficiency as less than perfect...I'd up that by 25% or so and call it 400 amp hours. So that is FOUR group 31 batteries in addition to whatever you need for your normal needs of lighting, TV etc. Call that 200 amphours (50% rule again!) for the average bus since that is about what the MFR's give you. So now we are up to 6 group 31 batteries. Let's assume you can fit that in the coach. The next problem is replacing the approximately 300 amphours you are going to be taking out per day. If you got a big Magnum Inverter w. 160amp Charger...you could be topping off daily in the 3 hour range in the boonies with the generator. I would also STRONGLY recommend those batteries be AGM's like Lifelines or Odysseys so you can bulk charge quickly and not be limited by the battery charge acceptance rate. So...technically it seems quite do-able to me provided you can handle the weight of 400 lbs of batteries & equipment and think a $3-4k investment to support an electric fridge is reasonable. I'd be interested if anyone takes issue with any of the technical analysis above as I have ZERO coach experience but lots of 12V livving experience and I want to make sure my assumptions hold water.
You lost me. 50 kW a month just for a res. fridge? I never exceeded 36 or 37 for all usage in my s+b. typo?
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #48

Camaraderie: I am not an EE but your post is flawed. First of all no one uses group 31 for the house. Those are chassis batteries. Our Dynasty runs the whole house on 8 6 volts. Including a 22.5 fridge. It can go close to 24 hours with TV and satellite usage There are others on this forum that run a residential on 4 6 volts with no problems. Al the naysayers should just PM some of the hundreds on this forum that have done the deed. I have never seen anyone complain after doing the conversion. But I have seen hundreds of people cursing propane fridges. 6 grp.31's. You must be joking!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #49

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our coach was factory built with a Norcold fridge, two 4D house batteries, and a 2000W inverter. When I replaced the Norcold with the residential fridge, I added two more 4D batteries. Now our house batteries last much longer after they are charged, and our generator use is exactly the same as it was before.

I know this isn't technical, but real life experience. I can't see how the residential fridge is costing us any more to use, or is any inconvenience in any way to us.

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge