RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

Residential Fridge?

Looking for a simple answer for a high school drop out! I read lots of talk about residential fridges. If you have an all electric fridge can you run it on batteries all the time or do you have to be hooked to generator or shore power a lot?

I boondock all the time. I don't want to have to run the generator all the time. Can someone give me a good simple feel for what is required to run an electric fridge on batteries? I assume I will need more than my 1990 pace arrow will give me?

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #2

A residential fridge , would not work well for boondocking.
Requirements would be a large battery bank ; 4 golf cart 6 volt and an invertor dedicated to it , with enough solar to keep up, with the draw, and charge the batteries during the day, or running the genset.
Propane fridge for boondocking.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Looking for a simple answer for a high school drop out! I read lots of talk about residential fridges. If you have an all electric fridge can you run it on batteries all the time or do you have to be hooked to generator or shore power a lot?

I boondock all the time. I don't want to have to run the generator all the time. Can someone give me a good simple feel for what is required to run an electric fridge on batteries? I assume I will need more than my 1990 pace arrow will give me?
Unfortunately, the answer is not that simple. However, and I'm speaking in very general terms, you will need a reefer (like a Samsung) that can run on a Modified Sine Wave Inverter ... or you will need to install a Pure Sine Wave Inverter for a reefer that requires purer 120vac. Additionally, you will probably need at least 4 high capacity batteries (maybe more). And, you will need a means of recharging those batteries (probably on a daily basis).
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
A residential fridge , would not work well for boondocking.
Requirements would be a large battery bank ; 4 golf cart 6 volt and an invertor dedicated to it , with enough solar to keep up, with the draw, and charge the batteries during the day, or running the genset.
Propane fridge for boondocking.
Your first statement is not correct. Ours works fine and we boondock over 90% of the time.
We do not have golf cart batteries, nor a dedicated inverter.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Your first statement is not correct. Ours works fine and we boondock over 90% of the time.
What brand reefer are you using (I'm interested in finding reefers, other than Samsung, that are happy on MSW).
Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Harold; Please tell , homeless , how you make do , boondocking with an electric fridge.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
What brand reefer are you using (I'm interested in finding reefers, other than Samsung, that are happy on MSW).
Ours is an Amana. I do not know all of the brands that will work on MSW, but any that have a built in rectifier will.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not Another Refer Thread.

Brace yourself. You won't find many straight answers on this or any RV forum. The issue of Absorbtion VS Residential has become as heated and emotional as 'Ford VS Chevy', 'Windows VS Mac', and 'Democrat VS Republican'.

Search this site for the terms 'Dometic' or 'Residential Refrigerator' to see all the bickering if you like.

In my opinion a residential refer would not be the right choice for boondocking.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Harold; Please tell , homeless , how you make do , boondocking with an electric fridge.
We don't make do. Everything accept our solar system was designed by the manufacturer for boondocking. Large battery bank. Large inverter and an AGS system.
Having said that; without knowing what Homless already has, and how much he wants to invest, I would not venture a guess, but it is always doable.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Brace yourself. You won't find many straight answers on this or any RV forum. The issue of Absorbtion VS Residential has become as heated and emotional as 'Ford VS Chevy', 'Windows VS Mac', and 'Democrat VS Republican'.

Search this site for the terms 'Dometic' or 'Residential Refrigerator' to see all the bickering if you like.

In my opinion a residential refer would not be the right choice for boondocking.
You opinion is accepted and respected, but it is just an opinion.
This is our second motorhome with a residential refrigerator, and over 90% of the time we are boondocking, over 11 years now.
You will find most of those saying it cant be done are are expressing an opinion, just as you, with no facts to base it on and no experience.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The simple answer is two fold.

1. You cannot run a residential frige on batteries WITHOUT.... Part 2

2. You can run a residential frige on batteries WITH an inverter.

Now for the not so simple answer. If you are running a residential fridge in a RV you will need a method of powering the unit. If you are boondocking you will need a method of powering the unit with either a battery/inverter/solar cells/generator or via a generator.

You stated that you do not want to run the generator all the time. You do not need to run the generator except to charge the batteries or to power the fridge every few hours to keep it cold.

If you don't want to run the generator at all then the only other method is batteries and an inverter. What type and size of inverter will depend on the fridge. If it will accept a MSW (Modified Sine Wave) inverter then it will cost a little less than a PSW (Pure Sine Wave) inverter. You will need to either have a set of solar cells to keep the batteries charged or you will need to use a generator. You can purchase a portable solar cell setup from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools for a reasonable price.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A Serious Question Then

Quote:
You opinion is accepted and respected, but it is just an opinion.
This is our second motorhome with a residential refrigerator, and over 90% of the time we are boondocking, over 11 years now.
You will find most of those saying it cant be done are are expressing an opinion, just as you, with no facts to base it on and no experience.
Oh ye of great knowlege.... Will I get a straight answer?

How often do you have to run your generator and for how long?

We boondock for 7 to 10 days at a time and I rarely have to run mine unless there have been cold at nights and both furnaces are used. We have 4 6V batteries of about 230 AH each.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Oh ye of great knowlege.... Will I get a straight answer?

How often do you have to run your generator and for how long?

We boondock for 7 to 10 days at a time and I rarely have to run mine unless there have been cold at nights and both furnaces are used. We have 4 6V batteries of about 230 AH each.
Sounds like you are trolling for an argument and I will not participate.

I will tell you I am set up for boondocking 24/7 365.
750 AH battery bank, 12 volt. 715 watts of solar. 3000 watt inverter/ charger with an AGS.
The only time the genny starts is is when we us more power than is available. Thats the straight answer. I might add we are full timers.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #14

Muddypaws has a 34 ft. Bounder DP almost the same as ours. These are not complex machines. Not too much electronics and very few phantom draws. You can go forever when boondocking. BUT our 08 Dynasty is just the opposite. Even without using a residential fridge it would require generator usage every 24 hours. This is common with modern units. So with a residential unit the daily run will keep up the batteries. Our Dynasty does have a residential fridge and it is huge so uses more power than the Samsung 197. I left it at a repair shop and the fridge was still running after 40 hours. BUT the doors were never opened and there was no TV usage. So both sides of the propane V house fridge are somewhat correct.

2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge