Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

I have two, the Trace RC7-GS and the Onan Wireless EC-30W.

I generally use the RC7-GS most of the time unless we happen to leave the coach for awhile when it is extremely hot outside with both A/C's running full bore. Then I turn on the Onan EC-30W which has a Temperature sensor for when power has been interrupted that will auto start the generator to keep the A/C's running.

I don't want to come home and find my Golden Retriever stressed out due to heatstroke or something worse.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
when we bought our new class A, was not sure about the residential fridge that came with unit. Never had a problem with the norcold ( )!! Have an auto gen start and 4 very large house batteries. At home plugged into 15 amp that keeps the fridge running and use it as a another fridge. There are times when the genset runs all by itself, due to low battery. watching tv, using thr microwave, ect does draw some power. That is my mancave!! Either way make sure you have an auto gen start, love mine and very happy with our buy. You can set run times, quiet times, when to start for low batteries (suggest low not less that 11. mine set at 11.5) Bets of luck and enjoy what ever you do!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #17

We have over 600 watts of solar power and thinking of adding another 300 watts. Currently, they will charge up to 35 amps when the sun is just right. They will run everything during the day and get the six house batteries up to float. About 3-4 hours after the sun goes down, the generator will start and I have it set to run for 2 hours and shut down. At night, I turn the refrig up to 45* from 38 and the basement freezer up to 8* from 0. At about 6 am, the gen will start, we turn the refrig and freezer back down, cook breakfast and run it for three hours. About 9 am, the sun takes over for another day. The refrigerator and basement freezer work best if they are full. If the freezer is only 1/3 to 1/2 full, I will add a bag of ice to fill it up so it's more efficient.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
(suggest low not less that 11. mine set at 11.5) Bets of luck and enjoy what ever you do!!!

FWIW, from what I have read, the house batteries should not be discharged below 50% before being recharged back up to float. 12.2 is considered be at 50% charge. Taking the batteries down to 11 or 11.5 volts will greatly shorten their life.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
I have a 2013 Thor Palazzo 33.3 DP and it has an awesome 18.5 cft. residential refer, I dry camp often as well. spent a week on the beach during thanksgiving and set the genny on auto start. It cycled 2-3 times a day to maintain the whole coach. I don't measure consumption of fuel, rather spend my time enjoying myself
Just curious-- what voltage do you set the AGS to start at ?
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
During the winter months I set mine for 12 VDC. During the warmer months it is set for 12.2 VDC.

This allows for my Aqua-Hot to run a little longer before the AGS kicks in.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Just curious-- what voltage do you set the AGS to start at ?
I have it set at 11.5 vdc. The default setting was 11.9 vdc. I lowered it to keep genny from cycling too often.
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
I have it set at 11.5 vdc. The default setting was 11.9 vdc. I lowered it to keep genny from cycling too often.
How many Amp Hours is that big battery bank? And what else is drawing from it at night to make that genny kick on after a few hours?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #23

My inverter would not work under 11,8 volts and batteries would not last.
That's why solar works so well for me. Genny using converter never charged batteries properly.
My warning voltage is now 12 Volts which never happens because its less then 50% charge.

Tags
boondocking, fridge