Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

Residential Fridge & Inverter setup

I'm looking at pulling out my Dometic RV fridge and replacing with a Samsung RF197 fridge. I have 4 x 6V batteries with a 2000 watt inverter. I also have 4 solar panels on the roof to help keep the batteries charged.

We quite often are on shore power but of course while underway we aren't and occasionally boondock as well.

So my question is this. As I see it I have several options:
- Stay as is with the RV fridge (getting tired of soft items in the freezer and little to no ice). Really not my ideal option.

- Swap the the RF197 and plug in and go. (Crossing my fingers I have enough power).

- Add additional batteries to the current power system and leave my current Inverter as is. Or possibly upgrade the Inverter as well.

- Add additional batteries and install a dedicated inverter for the fridge.

I'm likely going to work with my RV dealer to make this happen for me but I want to do some research first.

What are your thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
A 2000 watt inverter is probably fine, if you don't try to do too much at the same time. Ours is only 2800 watt. 4 batteries should be fine for most travel. If you boondock you'll probably need to run your generator for an hour or two a day. If you have a good place to add a couple more batteries, that would probably be a good idea.

joe

Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBolin View Post
I'm looking at pulling out my Dometic RV fridge and replacing with a Samsung RF197 fridge. I have 4 x 6V batteries with a 2000 watt inverter. I also have 4 solar panels on the roof to help keep the batteries charged.

We quite often are on shore power but of course while underway we aren't and occasionally boondock as well.

So my question is this. As I see it I have several options:
- Stay as is with the RV fridge (getting tired of soft items in the freezer and little to no ice). Really not my ideal option.

- Swap the the RF197 and plug in and go. (Crossing my fingers I have enough power).

- Add additional batteries to the current power system and leave my current Inverter as is. Or possibly upgrade the Inverter as well.

- Add additional batteries and install a dedicated inverter for the fridge.

I'm likely going to work with my RV dealer to make this happen for me but I want to do some research first.

What are your thoughts?
I am running a Samsung RF197 on a 1000 watt MSW inverter with no problem. The inverter has enough surge capacity to start the compressor.

We only have two 6-volt batteries, so we can't boondock, but the 2 batteries will run the fridge for an hour or two with the engine stopped without going below 50% discharge. The vehicle alternator keeps the batteries charged while we're driving.

BTW, the RF197 is generally no longer available, but there are a few remaining Samsung RF197 refrigerators available here and there. The RF217 is similar (19.7 cu ft vs. 18 for the RF197), and it might work as an alternative. However, the RF217 isn't counter depth and may stick out a little farther than the RF197, and it will require the removal of a window to get it into your rig whereas the RF197 fit through some RV doors.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #4

Suggest you take a look at the Vitrifrigo DP2600i (check their website at www.vfamerica.com ). This is a 12 volt compressor refer available at marine supply places. It is almost a drop-in replacement for rv units (same width and depth, height differs) and is listed as 8.1 cu.ft. I replaced a Dometic New Dimensions (rated about 9 cu.ft. or so), but I've found more usable space in the new one (doesn't have those aluminum fins inside, and is deeper inside since there's no cooling unit stuff on the back). The freezer section is 2.1 cu.ft. so that's definitely bigger than the old one.

I'm seeing about 700 watt-hrs a day so your solar system may be enough as is. When the compressor is running it draws about 4 amps at 12 volts. And I like not thinking about the refer burning down my rig anymore!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
Suggest you take a look at the Vitrifrigo DP2600i (check their website at www.vfamerica.com ). This is a 12 volt compressor refer available at marine supply places. It is almost a drop-in replacement for rv units (same width and depth, height differs) and is listed as 8.1 cu.ft. I replaced a Dometic New Dimensions (rated about 9 cu.ft. or so), but I've found more usable space in the new one (doesn't have those aluminum fins inside, and is deeper inside since there's no cooling unit stuff on the back). The freezer section is 2.1 cu.ft. so that's definitely bigger than the old one.

I'm seeing about 700 watt-hrs a day so your solar system may be enough as is. When the compressor is running it draws about 4 amps at 12 volts. And I like not thinking about the refer burning down my rig anymore!
Sorry, not what I was asking. I want to know what the opinions are for power & inverters for a residential fridge. What you are suggesting is significantly smaller than what I have now.

Let's stay on topic please!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #6

I have the RF197 in an 02 HR Endeavor. We do a lot of boondocking. My electrical system is 400 watts of solar, 4 batteries, 2000 watt prosine inverter. We just came back from 4 months of boondocking in Mexico. The unit ran fine, no problems. solar took care of everything during the day, including me wife doing 2 loads of wash on some day ( no drying, just washing). At night I ran the gen for an hour to bring the batteries up to 13.2 . The fridge ran all night when I got up at 8am the batteries were at 12.2 and already charging.thought you'd like to know.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I run 4 batts w/2500 watt Xantrex, 100W of solar and a 20 CUFT Amana...I also fill empty space in the unit with frozen 1 gal jugs of water (turns refrigerator into a "big cooler")...makes it through boondocking just fine running the genny a couple hours a day...

The RF197 is low power usage so I would think that it would be even better..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That set up should be fine to power a residential even for boondocking. The engine alternator will charge all batteries when traveling. Depending on the output of the solar array genny run time would be minimal.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt66 View Post
I have the RF197 in an 02 HR Endeavor. We do a lot of boondocking. My electrical system is 400 watts of solar, 4 batteries, 2000 watt prosine inverter. We just came back from 4 months of boondocking in Mexico. The unit ran fine, no problems. solar took care of everything during the day, including me wife doing 2 loads of wash on some day ( no drying, just washing). At night I ran the gen for an hour to bring the batteries up to 13.2 . The fridge ran all night when I got up at 8am the batteries were at 12.2 and already charging.thought you'd like to know.
65 watt solar, 2500 watt inverter, 4 6 volt batteries. Left unplugged for 24 hours and batteries were 12.0V. Running amps are 7 DC amps for the fridge.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #10

Thanks for your comments.

I'm running 4 x 100+ watt panels (I believe they are 120 each but can't remember). They are mounted on the roof with no arms to point them at then sun (yet).

I think my next step is to start measuring things and see where I have to go through.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The rule of thumb is 75 watts minimum to 135 watts maximum for each 100 hrs. of amp hour rating of the battery bank.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #12

We did something similar in our last rig and loved the residential fridge. We also wanted to be able to run the microwave (short periods/lunch time) off of the inverter and so upgraded the inverter & batteries. Here is a link to our upgrade.

Tags
fridge, inverter