Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Residential Refer Install - Dimensions

I'm trying to figure out what will fit. I've identified a few that work on height and width with enough room to spare I'm not worried about measurement error. But I've got partial exposure to a hallway wall on depth (single door units). Near as I can figure measuring from the wall on one side of the refer compartment and using the 90 degree door open specification there is barely enough room to swing the door.

On reading further in the specifications tho I find the GE calls for a 2 inch space to the rear and the Frigidaire an inch for air circulation and hookups. If I have to add even an inch to the refrigerator specs it won't go (with the door open all the way).

So how important is this? I figure I've got the depth of the wall where the outside access panel cutout is for hookups and airspace there. But I don't know if that extends upward. If its only an efficiency thing me and my fully opening door would be able to live with it I think.

Greg
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are replacing a Norcold/Dometic refer, there will be at least a 4" space behind the current refrigerator going all the way up to the roof, unless you are in a slide and then it goes up to the second opening. Airspace behind the refrigerator is critical as that is where it rejects the heat from inside.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
If you are doing the work yourself I'd suggest you pull the old refrigerator. Then you'll know for sure all the measurements, etc. of that compartment. Once you have pulled it you can stick it back in until you get your new unit. A duplication of effort but not all that bad.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If I understand your conundrum, if you go with a slightly deeper residential fridge, and select a model with side-by-side doors, you will not have that problem. You will clear the existing cabinetry because of the deeper fridge, and the door(s) will not swing out as far since they will only be half as wide. Hard to explain -- does that make sense? \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I second Bob's suggestion to pull the NotSoCold and then inspect the opening that you have to work with.

When my Samsung RF197 was installed the only modification was to the raised floor that the NotSoCold sat on. It was lowered 7 inches to allow clearance for the taller Samsung.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #6

Greg;

Don't know if you have considered it, but I was planning on such a thing, and then realized how difficult it would have been to get the new unit into the MH. With our present coach, I don't believe we would be able to get it in, regardless of how many windows we removed.

Hopefully, you have solved this problem, and I am just making noise for no reason.

Ken Gasbarri
Old 01-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraginRat View Post
Greg;

Don't know if you have considered it, but I was planning on such a thing, and then realized how difficult it would have been to get the new unit into the MH. With our present coach, I don't believe we would be able to get it in, regardless of how many windows we removed.

Hopefully, you have solved this problem, and I am just making noise for no reason.

Ken Gasbarri
I had some large cardboard out in the garage and made a box the shape and size of the Samsung 197. It did fit through the passeger side window on my RV. Used the same box (after I lowered the floor under the old refrigerator) to make sure 197 would fit and have door clearence.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install