Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

Residential refrigerator question about batteries

I have a new Fleetwood bounder 33c with a Samsung residential. Refrigerator. The brochure said it has a 2000 watt inverter and 2 additional batteries specifically for the refrigerator. The. Dealership. Said there are no additional batteries. I see the 2000 watt inverter but no batteries.. Do you know if this bounder has or is suppose to have extra batteries? Articles I have read about other r.v.s. usually have them . if so,where are they? Thanks! Lou
Lizzythelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
You should have at least 5 batteries, 2 for the fridge inverter, 2 for house batteries and 1 for engine or chassis battery.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #3

My Bounder is still in manufacturing but I have seen the mention of two extra batteries in the 30th Anniversary Bounder brochure and not in the regular Brochure.

Perhaps, that since the household refrigerator became standard, the system was rewired to have only the two 6 volts batteries.

I would prefer having 4 6 volts batteries.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #4

I have the Samsung 197 and 4 (6v) batteries and a Magnum 2812 inverter. If you have just 2 (6v) batteries I would be looking at a min of 2 more batteries. Next year if I need batteries I will install 2 more because right now I can go around 8hrs +- before they get down to 12.2v and I have to start the gen-set.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I just received the electrical diagrams for the 2016 36H Bounder, which also has the residential refrigerator. Those diagrams show four (4) house batteries wired for the system. If I recall they are located under the entry steps.

Bill
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:00 AM   #6

If there are only 2 house batteries, See if they are big 8 D size.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:15 AM   #7

FWIW If they are under the entry steps then you will be hard pressed to get 8-D's in there. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I know on my previous res fridge 5'er, the mfg only shipped with the minimum battery to get it delivered and it was up tot he dealer to put the batteries in...

It took 5 visits, many phone calls, threats to sue, and months to get the 3 WORKING batteries I was supposed to get ...

YRMV...
Old 02-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #9

Refrigerator batteries

I still do not know if the Bounder 33c residential refrigerator has 2 extra batteries specifically for frig and where they are or should be. How do I contact a Fleetwood technician . I want to know if the dealership was supposed to add them. I argued with them about this, but they said I only needed the 2000 watt inverter. This does not solve the power storage needed for residential refrigerator. Do you agree? Thanks , lou
Old 02-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Write to Fleetwood and explain it clearly and they will contact your stupid dealer that did not do its job !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #11

Thanks Norman. I think dealer is playing mickey the dunce on me! If I find out they scammed me, Fleetwood is going to get a nasty Letter about them ! Thanks again norm. Lou
Old 02-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it is the dealer's job to add batteries to the factory set-up. You get the equipment the factory provides and its the dealers task only to make sure it is working at delivery.

That said, you cannot rely on the sales brochures. They all say "Specifications can change without notice". For awhile the RV makers were using dedicated inverters for residential fridges and they had separate battery banks too. That proved unnecessary and was stopped a few years back. However, a coach with a residential fridge is usually equipped with more or larger batteries to handle the additional power draw of the larger inverter and fridge. I think four would be typical if they are the usual Group 27 12v or GC2 golf cart 6v.

According to the Bounder brochure, the residential fridge option includes two additional batteries (2 are standard) and the 2000W inverter. That is a total of 4 house batteries, plus another to start the engine (chassis battery). Since that is consistent with industry practices for residential fridges in RVs, I think you can make the case to Fleetwood that you have a reasonable expectation that yours would be provided that way.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:13 AM   #13

FWIW I Have seen setups with a residential fridge where they added the second battery and automatic generator start then called it sufficient. The industry either does not know or does not care what it takes to boon dock.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, refrigerator