Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerators for Limited-Space Applications

I am done with the Norcold, and ready to make the move. There are many great posts here that discuss residential refrigerator models, along with virtually all the info one needs to do the swap-out. What I am finding, due to my specific space constraints, my refrig options appear to be very limited. I have read numerous forums and gleaned out model numbers in my search only to find that one or more of the dimensions takes them out of consideration, and spent lots of time with on line searches, ie aj Madison, etc. Many here are fortunate enuf to have the room for the Samsungs or similar, but there isnt a ‘one size fits all’ solution for every coach.
I am hoping that this post evolves into yet another valuable tool for those with same situations as I am experiencing. I will post my specific info below. Thanks for reading.
Wuzaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #2

My ‘ 02 38’ HR Endeavor currently has the Norcold 1200 in place. We use our coach maybe 6 to 8 weeks a year. I measure my available space for a replacement refer as follows:

Height – 68 ½” ceiling to top of furnace (not including a floor for the refer) or 64½” with current floor.
Depth – 26” front of cabinet frame to back wall (not including any rear air-space for the refer) I could go to overall 29” or so deep including doors; anything wider will protrude past the pocket door frame, reducing the hallway width which is now 24”
Depth with doors open 90 degrees - 52 ¾” (the end of a cabinet is directly across from refer) so anything bigger prevents the refer door to open to 90 degrees.
Width – 32 ¾” (no major problems here)

So the Samsung is out, as I don’t want to remove the furnace. The F & P 170 would be perfect but it is a little pricey for my specific needs, so I am trying to find another option. The ones I have listed below are those I have found and are in the consideration pile:

Whirlpool WRT 316 – 16 cu ft 2 door – would work only if you either reverse door opening (inconvenient) or accept a less that full door opening due to the cabinet across from refrig. Same issue of door opening full on the units I have found in the 14-16 cu ft range.

Whirlpool – WRT 111SFAB – this one works, but its only 10.58 cu ft, and I was really hoping to not reduce the size of my refer.

Frigadaire FFTR 1222 QW – 12 cu ft - 2 door – Under 500 bucks, and don’t need to lower the floor. Reviews – fair…..Will this one work on a MSW ? I sent email to Frigadaire a week ago and have yet to receive a reply. I think this one is actually 11.5 cu ft.

GE GPS 12FGHBB – another 12 cu ft (11.5 actual) about 800 bucks – nice features, no info yet on MSW. priced a little more than the Frididaire – but better reviews.

Summit FF1512SSIM – this one is 12.6 cu ft, and would work if I lowered the floor (would have to use the Diplomat Don style floor system, as this one would barely fit) And at twice the price for maybe ½ cu ft more – may not be the best option.

These are just a few of the ones I looked at – I’ve measured my available space a couple of times, so I think my numbers are good. So, my conclusion is that, if I don’t spring for the pricey F & P, its either a 11.5 to 12 cu ft 2 door (easy fit), a 13, 14 to 16 cu ft model , but not being able to open door fully, or do left hand hinges, which clears the opposing cabinent, but would inconvenient to use. I am leaning toward the GE 12 cu ft at this point. Got no problem adding cabinent drawers/doors to take up the excess width for the smaller refer.

Maybe I’ve missed something - what would you do & what have others done who have encountered same ? Would it be that bad to replace the 12 cu ft norcold with a 11.5/12cs ft residential ? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions or comments, please speak up, and I thank you in advance for your input.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I changed out a Norcold 1200 with the furnace underneath. With the Samsung. Took a lot of engineering. Lowering the deck was the solution to the height issue. The clearance for the furnace is 1". ( per manufacturer) However if the 1" is side to side rather than top it will work. The bottom of the fridge is open not solid so you get your 1" that way for the height clearance

Let me say it another way: I lowered the deck.....and did not install a solid deck, it was cut out and open over the furnace. The furnace except for the air vent I wrapped in insulating reflexit. ( made the furnace metal surface go down from160' to about 80') And I removed the rollers on the fridge. The one thing I missed in all the calculations, was the ceiling fluorescent light....it kept the left door from opening more than ..90'
Getting the thing in the door was a bear, It had to be totally disassembled, doors, brackets, clips,water line, clearance was only 1/4".

Best mod I have ever done, traded coaches last year, wish I could upgrade in this one. Samsung 3 door is the way to go.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Appreciate you sharing your research.

I am considering replacing my NDA1402. It's mounted in a slide so when moving down the road it does a very bad job of remaining cool due to the lack of appropriate overhead vent.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hot point, HPS15BTHBRBB, TWO DOOR MODEL, reversible door, ice maker, replaced a 1200 and put in a small cabinet on side for broom and such. In fact the last Rv show I saw a few rigs with the same refer.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #6

I stumbled onto another one that would work well for me -but - no distribution here in Central Calif, and most importantly no service facilities. Looks like popular in the East....

Blomberg BRFT 1522 SS made in Germany
15 cu ft - (smallest footprint 15 footer I have found)
ht 67 7/10
depth 27 7/10
w/o door 23 3/10
depth at 90 = 51"
I believe AJ has it at 995.

BTW the GE I referenced on earlier post is now replaced with what looks to be same, just different item # GPE 12FGK BB (black) Lowes and HD here on sale at 720. I am gonna take this route. Wish I could go bigger, but it is what it is; and in the end I will have almost same size refer but one that is safe and efficient, and a broom closet thrown in also........

Tags
ace, cat, refrigerator