Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #141

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Samsung Installed!!!!

The Samsung 197 is installed with anchoring and trim left to do. Boy am I glad that's over. Because of the height issue, I decided to take the wheels off and on the front I bent back the support that held the wheels on. Doing this gave me the height I needed and I ended up with room to spare. I have to figure out how I will anchor it but that should be easy once I get started on it.

I tried it on inverter and it just kept running. The doors are kinda big for the hallway space but it is not really any worse than the old Dometic in that regard. What a beautiful fridge and quickly cooled down. Am going back over this evening to check on it and show the DW what her husband can do when he sets his mind to it.

I was way too busy to take pics of everything but here are a few:

Closing off the top vent. I stuffed insulation in there and used foil tape to cover and seal it. Will probably go on the roof and seal it off up there too.

Next I took off the light and AC vent in case they got in the way. They didn't.

Next is the box without the doors and top "table" that contains the electronics. HD would only deliver next to an RV and would do no install. So I hired someone to do the heavy lifting.

Next I removed the passenger seat base for easier entry.

I also removed the return that holds the front door and put a bungie on the door to the mirror to pull it all the way back to give us max width to get the fridge thru the door. It went pretty well with no real damage to anything.

I'm sorry for the blurry pic of the fridge (darn smartphone). When I go over tonight I will take my SLR and take a real pic.

Next is the open doors with the temp readings on top.

Finally, another view of the install.

Thanks for everyone's help, especially Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131004_160126.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	47508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131008_141109.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	47509  

Name:	IMG_20131008_140338.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	47510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131008_141145.jpg
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	47511  

Name:	IMG_20131008_141209.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	47512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131008_180549.jpg
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	47513  

Name:	IMG_20131008_180609.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	47514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131008_183650.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	47515  

zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #142

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome job, John. Congratulations!!!! Persistence pays off!

Welcome to the Samsung Owners Club.

It looks great like it was always there.

I just had a little hiccup with mine over the weekend. But it has been resolved.

You can read about here. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/anoth...ge-179215.html

Let us know if you need help with how to secure it for travel. Also remember that the French doors and the freezer drawer both need to be secured when traveling.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #143

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Better Pictures

Went over last night to show the DW and she was pretty impressed with it. Now she is thinking of one for our s&b. That will be sooo much easier when we do it.

I put blue painter's tape over the LEDs as she hates them. Gives a blue tint to the fridge. Kinda like it.

Now to the flooring where I was when the old Dometic fridge went out. Oh yea, and anchoring this baby down and the doors. There is always something....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0027.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	47525   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0028.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	47526  

Name:	IMGP0029.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	47527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0030.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	47528  

Name:	IMGP0031.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	47529  
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #144

Monaco Owners Club
John,

I see by the photos that your Samsung fridge box sits out an inch or 2 from the side of the frame trim. I must of had a deeper RV fridge cabinet as the front edge of my Samsung fridge box is flush with the front edge of my oak trim.

What does the blue tape do?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
John,

I see by the photos that your Samsung fridge box sits out an inch or 2 from the side of the frame trim. I must of had a deeper RV fridge cabinet as the front edge of my Samsung fridge box is flush with the front edge of my oak trim.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I don't think the face trim is installed yet so it probably will be different when done ... not 2 inches though.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #146

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
John,

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Trim is not on yet and will cover all but the doors themselves. You may have a deeper fridge inset than mine. The doors need space to swing out so that will work. The right door can only open a little more than 90* due to the hallway sliding privacy door that is in the way. But that is ok.

The blue tape reduces the bright glare of the LEDs. She doesn't like halogen either. Has sensitive eyes. Actually the blue is not bad and it gives a filtering effect. Was an instant solution that I will probably keep. Cheap too.

John
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #147

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I don't think the face trim is installed yet so it probably will be different when done ... not 2 inches though.
Yes, that is the case and should work out fine when I get to doing the cabinet work.

John
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #148

Here's a newb question...If I eliminate the propane fridge and go with a residential on a new RV...is there any reason to add an auto leveling system anymore? Or do I still need to be absolutely level for the furnace/water heater. If not...that could pay for the fridge, extra batteries and a big inverter/charger.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Here's a newb question...If I eliminate the propane fridge and go with a residential on a new RV...is there any reason to add an auto leveling system anymore? Or do I still need to be absolutely level for the furnace/water heater. If not...that could pay for the fridge, extra batteries and a big inverter/charger.
You would only need to level it for you own personal comfort.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #150

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Whether you have a device that needs to be level to work properly or not, being level (or almost) will make life a lot easier. Even a residential fridge is expecting to be pretty level as a given (as are all major devices like W/D , stove, oven, etc). Some won't function properly without it.

An automatic leveling system is not necessary but some kind of leveling system will keep things in place like while cooking among other things. You wouldn't want to live in a house that was not level.

You would be hard pressed to find a new class A MH without a leveling system of some sort. Class C and B still want to be level but they usually do it with boards under the tires, etc.

A major reason many people buy Class A's is so they don't have to get out and do manual leveling. That tells you right there that leveling is important to most folks. I wouldn't be without it.

John
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #151

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update

I was at the MH today and checked on the Samsung. Freezer was -2 and fridge was +38 and there was ice in the freezer bin. All is working well.

Now to work on the anchor. I'm thinking of putting an L bracket in front of each front corner and bolted to the steel plate that is the floor. The top is snug against the ceiling so it can't go up and the L brackets on the bottom won't let it go forward. It is already tight against the back wall. I still have air space around the top and sides and I have the rear panel off the back where the compressor is located (did that before installing). I will put wood stops on each side to keep it from moving sideways. This seems like the easiest solution.

John
Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #152

Monaco Owners Club
When you design the L brackets which will be attached to the steel plate floor, you could use the bolts that are used in the foot plate, which you had previously reversed, to tie the L bracket to the fridge.

Great job!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #153

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Securing Doors

I made a simple and effective solution to securing the Samsung 197 doors while in motion. I used a single bungie looping thru the top 2 handles and then down to the bottom handle. It is quick and it works. Since the top 2 doors open from the hinges on the sides, the bottom door can't open and they all put a stress on each other that makes it work. They will move a little when pulled on but will snap back into place. Surprised me. See pic below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20131011_144457.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	47640  
Old 10-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #154

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
John, I'm going to watch this and see what you end up with. I'm thinking that there isn't much difference from your Marlin and my Tradewinds. Is your fridge on the pass. side with the front furnace under it??
I hope my efforts were helpful to you. We are very happy with the results. Let me know if you want any info. It wasn't easy but very doable. I will finish the trim when I get the new floor down which I will start this week.

John

Tags
refrigerator