Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
First off stay FAR away from any RV Cooling Unit Company that sells re-manufactured cooling units even if they are guaranteed for 3 years.

If you end up going the cooling unit route definitely BUY NEW and buy AMISH from the RV Cooling Unit Warehouse.

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse LLC Home Page

For a residential your Dometic NDR1292 is very similar in size to the Norcold 1200. The height is the only major difference.

I removed a Norcold 1200 and installed a Samsung RF197ACBP (Black) model into the same opening EXCEPT the height had to be changed by 7 inches. Luckily I had a storage cabinet under the Norcold and I now have a smaller storage cabinet under the Samsung fridge.

Samsung RF197AC 17.8 cu. ft. Counter-Depth French Door Refrigerator with 3 Adjustable Glass Shelves, Humidity Controlled Crispers, Ice Maker, LED Lighting and Internal Digital Display

Samsung fridges are approved for running on MSW inverters too whereas some other manufactures are not.

The Samsung width without the doors is 24 3/8 inches so it sounds like you have plenty of room using the door to get it inside. Mine came in through a window which was easier than using the door and removing the seats.

The only issue I see is the height. You need about 69 7/8 inches minimum or 70 inches would be great.

I have attached the documentary of my installation.

If you feel that the Samsung will not work for you there is a Frigidaire 2 door with top freezer that will fit with less modifications.

Frigidaire FFHT1513L 14.8 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator with 2 Sliding Wire Shelves, Store-More Gallon Door Bins, Full-Width Freezer Rack and Ready-Select Controls

Whatever you do don't let people talk you out of a residential if that is the way you want to go. Our Samsung has been in for 18 months and it has been the BEST modification to our home EVER. It has improved the quality of our RV lifestyle 1000%.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thank you Richard. The attachment was verrry helpful. I think it will cost less or at least about the same to get a new real refrigerator instead of a new cooling unit for a 12 year old RV type. We don't really dry camp and if we did I can run it off my inverter or genset. I will need to lower the base and tie into my inverter circuit.

Did you buy the Samsung from AJMadison? How long did it take to get it?

Thanks
John

zzjea is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #16

We got our coach in January and by summer the 1200 Not-So-Cold was living up to its name. One fire in a coach is one fire to many so we just had the Samsung 197 and Magnum 2812 inverter installed all in about 7hrs by Bobby and Scott at Amazing Creation in Junction City, Or at a price far lower than anyone in the area. If any one is thinking of doing the switch, do it. Now my ice cream is as hard as a rock -2 degs and my beer is at 38deg and it is quiet plus it looks cool.
Samsung was $1079 with a total cost of install of Samsung and Magnum and new control panel going through a side window moved the table removed valance, out with the old and in with the new $970 This is an 07 and mine is an 06 but they look the same
Samsung Refrigerator Install
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr4Film
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post

Thank you Richard. The attachment was verrry helpful. I think it will cost less or at least about the same to get a new real refrigerator instead of a new cooling unit for a 12 year old RV type. We don't really dry camp and if we did I can run it off my inverter or genset. I will need to lower the base and tie into my inverter circuit.

Did you buy the Samsung from AJMadison? How long did it take to get it?

Thanks
John
John,

I did a Google search at the time to find out where I could get the model that I wanted at the best price plus shipping. At that time it happened to be the Warehouse Discount Center in Burbank California. They had the ACBP model for just over $1000 and shipped free to the Louisiana RV shop who did the install.

I would suggest first choosing the model/color that you want and then do a Google search for that specific model. Google will come up with many locations and prices.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Cliff, No confusion. See link in post #3. Dr4Ffilm ----- Richard
RV ice box is not RV Cooling Unit Warehouse.

http://www.rvcoolingunit.net/servlet/StoreFront

No confusion ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Frigidaire unit I am not sure of the model but the description of the one by the other poster sounds like it. It was in the MH when I bought it used so I do not know what it took to get it in. I have the electrical panel under my refrigerator so I imagine that It fit in the space with no modification I would rather have had the double door model because the single door on the refrigerator will not open quite all the way. The only problem that it causes though is getting into one of the crispers. The indoor storage is very handy. I would not even consider going back to a hybrid refrigerator again. I had one in my 5th wheel and like the other poster said I had to turn it on the night before to get it cooled down the next day.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
I went over and measured the height tonight. 70" from the ceiling brings me to just barely above the heating unit on the sub flooring. I don't think that I would be blocking any air flow if I built the base within an inch of the top of the heater unit. Any issues here? My opening width is 32.5".

The fridge will open into a hallway that is only about 26" wide. Will the doors open fully? Will the freezer door open fully and could it be removed/installed in that 26"?

John
zzjea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr4Film
The doors on the Samsung are French doors so that should not give you any problems. The freezer drawer rolls out about 16 inches giving you plenty of room to remove it if needed.

The only issue I see is sliding the fridge into the opening. It is a lot easier to install the doors first then slide it in but the Samsung is 28 1/2 inches with the doors without the handles. If you have only 26 inches it won't work. You may have to slide the fridge in part way and then tip it down in the front to install the doors and then slide it the rest of the way into the opening.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #22

I replaced my NDR1292 with a Whirlpool -- residential fridge install.

The NDR1292 is smaller than a Norcold 1200 so I don't think you'll be able to get one of those Samsung 167s in that space.

Essentially I replaced a 12 cf with another 12 cf fridge.

The Whirlpool is a two-door so the freezer and fridge doors swing out further than your two-door NDR1292 or a Samsung. However, I was able to use Whirlpool's dimensional drawings to figure out door swing and other install dimensions.

Also remember that the fridge door will typically "hang over" the fridge cabinet so that buys you a few inches of depth.

If you're doing a self install, you may want to remove your NDR1292 before picking a replacement. Also, my Whirlpool was brought in through a side window.

Finally, since my Whirlpool was several inches less wide than my old NDR1292, I was able to get a pantry installed next to the fridge.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #23

TechWriter
That is a good looking install along with the added storage space I'm going to book mark it if someone needs a smaller unit.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #24
RMS

Whirlpool 10.7 cu ft

Just installed the Whirlpool 10.7 cu ft model in our 2002 Admiral. I was able to bring it in the entry door with no problem. The toughest part for my install was the lifting high enough to slide into the cabinet.

The lift was accomplished with a floor jack primarily, and a small assist by a bottle jack, plus some grunting and pushing. Fortunately for me, Pat's mobile home parts(Leesburg Fl.) is just down the road from us and I was able to pick up 2-9 x 30 cabinets and stack them to make a pantry. I did have to cut the cabinets down to 8 inches to make them fit.

We gave up some space but peace of mind is worth it. Dry camping is not on our radar and we frequently run the generator for the roof air anyway---the dash air crapped out years ago.

For those contemplating such an install--Width 24"
Depth 27-15/16"
Weight 143 pounds
Height to Top of Refrigerator (in.) 60-3/4
Height to Top of Door Hinge (in.) 61-3/4
Counter Depth Yes
Depth Including Handles (in.) 27-15/16
Depth with Door 90 Open (in.) 48-5/16
Total Capacity (cu. ft.) 10.7
Capacity: Freezer (cu. ft.) 2.9
Capacity: Fresh-Food (cu. ft.) 7.8
Old 09-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
I had had enough of the rv fridges never getting cold enough...
even with vent fan additions and fans on the inside and having to be perfectly level... it still spoiled a lot of food...

so our new rv was ordered with a Samsung !!!

My guess is that the residential doesn't need to be AS level to work properly, correct ?!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rw kitchen.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	46777   Click image for larger version

Name:	RW Fridge.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	46782  

Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #26

I installed a Samsung 197 in our coach over Labor Day weekend. Bought it from Goedeckers. Wish I had done it sooner.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #27

Residential Fridge

My Dometic only worked the way it was supposed to occassionaly. I replaced it with a residential model. Best thing I ever did. After removed the Dometic, I measured the opening and then went online searching for a residential model that would fit.
I went on NextTag, limited my search to apartment sized units. I found an Avanti, made in China, almost the exact size I needed. I ordered it for around $290, incl. shipping. It only weighs 126 pounds, 7.1 cu. ft., fit thru the door easily, and runs great. I use it at home for holiday overflow and to store frozen foods that I don't have room for in the house.
Once in place and plugged up, all I had to do was make a little trim to fill in around it. Looks great and never has to be level, no fire hazard.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #28

Gatorcq, how did you secure it once you installed in your coach ? Thanks
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret

Tags
refrigerator