Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #309

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Looks great. They sure do get tall when you have to put them above the heater.
They sure do. Looks like it is about as tall and sticks out as much as our Samsung that is over the furnace air return, central vac outlet and LP detector.

While ours was on the dolly we built to roll it into place for installation in order to reattach the doors (removed to get the fridge in the side window) I had to roll it under the roof vent and use a hand mirror to attach the hinge bolts. Also had to be careful not to hit the galley ceiling light. Yup that close. Worth every bit of work though.

Here is our install from back in 2011 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/new-f...dow-93522.html
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #310

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
All done with the instal.
Looks great. Nothing like the satisfaction of a job well done.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Looks great. They sure do get tall when you have to put them above the heater.
Yes they do. I could have gone down another 3 inches but that would have required me to get a cabinet guy to do it right.

I was able to do it all with just dropping it 2 inches.

Not a hard job, just have to think it out then go for it!

Cooled to 38 in the fridge and -2 in the freezer in 2 hours.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
They sure do. Looks like it is about as tall and sticks out as much as our Samsung that is over the furnace air return, central vac outlet and LP detector.

While ours was on the dolly we built to roll it into place for installation in order to reattach the doors (removed to get the fridge in the side window) I had to roll it under the roof vent and use a hand mirror to attach the hinge bolts. Also had to be careful not to hit the galley ceiling light. Yup that close. Worth every bit of work though.

Here is our install from back in 2011 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/new-f...dow-93522.html
I did look at your install before doing mine. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
I did look at your install before doing mine. Thanks for the help!
So now that you've had it in. For a couple of years. How is the cooling/heat things going with the old outside vents?
Ron
Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #314

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danorske View Post
So now that you've had it in. For a couple of years. How is the cooling/heat things going with the old outside vents?
Ron
To do it over I would probably have closed off the top vent. The two fans are controlled by a small rotary switch without and on/off label so I could never tell if they were running since they are so quiet. Ended up just removing the inline fuse I put in. In the rear I closed off almost all of it except for a very small opening that is right behind the condenser fan (I think that is what it is) in the rear of the fridge and put in some window screen to keep bugs out. The fridge is very close to the wall in the back so I figured it couldn't hurt.

From what I have read, residential fridges take cooling air from the room so you really don't need an outside supply. Being so close on the rear and sides made my decision to still vent a little from the old access panel. Too cold outside air like in winter is no concern as we try to never be anywhere cold.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #315

Freightliner Owners Club
Got the MH the other day with a new safety switch on the Norcold (1200). Also the tech said the heat sensor on the condenser was bad. The place I took it too is not a dealer. He refurbishes MH's, TT's, 5vers etc. He gave me a bid of $4500 to replace the Norcold with a Samsung two door, ice maker, with bottom door freezer. That would include a new cabinet to house the Samsung. I was so PO'd at that Norcold I was ready for him to do it right then but his schedule was booked until mid July and we're heading back to the coast to do more fishing so it looks like I'll have to wait. The price seemed about right. I believe a new Norcold would cost just about as much....not that I would ever consider that.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #316

Monaco Owners Club
The price of $4500 is very high unless they are building you a completely new cabinet for the Samsung to be enclosed into with all new wood & trim etc.

Just for kicks I would give Elite RV a call in Harrisburg Oregon to see what they would do the job for and get a comparison.

Some people have had Samsung's installed for the cost of the fridge plus about $800 labor which is around $2000 total.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #317

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
csrrsr: If you're not a DIY'er kinda guy, check out suggestions like Richard's or put out the call here for installers others have used that might be on your travels.

Also, you might inquire in your area regarding cabinet makers who might give you an estimate to do the work. Other than getting the old one out and the new one in the MH, it's mostly about the framing for the fridge to sit on and trim work to make it look good. Although it would be better, it does not have to be an RV installer, just someone who can do cabinet work and has some problem solving skills.

This thread started when I was faced with an ammonia leak in my Dometic and I eventually decided to do the install myself along with new wood floors and other stuff. I got a lot of help from this forum especially Richard.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #318

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
He gave me a bid of $4500 to replace the Norcold with a Samsung two door, ice maker, with bottom door freezer. That would include a new cabinet to house the Samsung.
I'm not sure how much work is involved in that new cabinet, but just as a comparison, Alliance Coach in Wildwood Fl, replaced our Norcold with the Samsung. It had to come in through a window, and I made them re-work a few things along the way (anchor points, water routing, etc.) They didn't have to build a new cabinet, but they did modify the existing cabinet and re-trim and stain the entire front of it. The bill for that was about $3300 before tax, and their labor rate is not cheap.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator