RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Reverse inverter?

My Class B Falcon 190 has an electrical complex on the floor behind a metal door. It has a couple of fuses, spade type, and whirs and hums on occasion when on shore power.

I'm guessing that the 110VAC shore power goes to that affair and

1: is distributed to the 110VAC outlets and appliances, and

2: some is converted to 12VDC to charge the house battery.

So that in effect what that is is a 12VDC battery charger without a case.

I guess I'm asking if that's true.

My interest is that it's 25 years old and I"m wondering if it ever failed I could tear out the battery charger function and wire a small battery charger into the 110VAC circuit and connect the 12V wires to those running to the house batteries (12V).

It may be that setup does something else, or more, and a person would have t figure out what it's called and buy another one somewhere. But if it's not more complex than that a replacement may not be all that complicated or expensive.

However, I'm prone to overlooking inconvenient facts. Is there something here I haven't seen?http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif

Thanks.

Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #2

I have never had one go bad. You have a battery charger per say but it is built and rated to be continuous duty. Refrigerators, water heaters, furnaces, and roof AC's are controlled all by 12 volts even when you have them running on propane(fridge, water heater and furnace). This is quite a bit of charging going on not even counting the lights and water pump. Most of these also distribute 110volts and house the breakers in the same cabinet. It is much more than just a battery charger. If mine needed to be replaced I would replace mine with what I have or better for safety. Count up the amp ratings on all of your 12v fuses and you might be surprised. A car doesn't have near as much electrical draw of a camper but it takes a alternator of 100amps or better to run it.JMHO

Tags
inverter