Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #1

Reverse Polarity Alarm

I'm camping in Florida at camp gulf and getting an occasional reverse polarity alarm. Electrical readings are WNL. Campsite electrician says you can't have a reverse polarity on a 50amp service. Does anyone support or refute this statement. I did check out my surge protector and the reading did show over/under voltage but after disconnecting the 50amp plug a few times everything seemed to level out. Any similar experiences out there with uneventful endings.
Affinityfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The electrician is right. You can't have a reverse polarity between the two hot legs of 50amp service. You could have a miss-wired outlet, but things wouldn't work at all if that happened.

You could have loose connections that might be confusing the EMS. Did you ask the electrician to tighten up all the connections in the pedestal?

What does "WNL" mean?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #3

Within Normal Limits
What about a faulty surge protector?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will explain.. This is normal 50 amp power

L-1(120 volt)Neutral(120 volt)L2

Note that Neutral is BETWEEN TWO 120 volt legs.. What do you suppose happens if you measure L-1 to L-2... 240 volts? Actually yes, that is exactly what you get.

Now if you reverse say L-1 and neutral You now have
N 120V-L1=240 volt-l2 and much of what's in your RV is toast.

And yes, I know of a campground where this happened.

This said.. There is an ALTERNATE means for hooking up a park, (2 of 3 phases) (Which 2 depends on what site you are on)

This MIGHT "Trick" a surge protector. epically a cheap one.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #5

It is not uncommon for an electrician to mess up and power up the common on a panel and send 240 to the 120 volt outlets. I only lost the charger to my cordless tools on the last jobsite I was at where they accidently did that. Others lost some pretty pricey saws and other costly 120 volt equipment. Oops!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
It is not uncommon for an electrician to mess up and power up the common on a panel and send 240 to the 120 volt outlets. I only lost the charger to my cordless tools on the last jobsite I was at where they accidently did that. Others lost some pretty pricey saws and other costly 120 volt equipment. Oops!
You need new electricians if that is a common problem - having been one for 40 years, getting a hot on the common is not too usual.

However, when I ran a circuit for my 30 amp trailer in the back yard I did wire it up as 240...new converter, new microwave and all is good. Still trying to get the egg off my face!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
when I ran a circuit for my 30 amp trailer in the back yard I did wire it up as 240...new converter, new microwave and all is good. Still trying to get the egg off my face!
Tim
Tim
I can certainly see how easily that mistake can be made, (even by an experienced electrician like yourself), given that a 30A "RV receptacle" looks very much like the more commonly used 30A "240VAC residential receptacle".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #8

You guys are making me nervous. I guess I'll have to perform a cursory voltage check on any RV park electrical hookup from now on.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinityfan View Post
You guys are making me nervous. I guess I'll have to perform a cursory voltage check on any RV park electrical hookup from now on.
That's why I have a Progressive EMS installed. It does that check for me.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #10

Thanks for the info though

Lance
2000 Affinity
Old 06-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
Still trying to get the egg off my face!

Tim
Gee.. when I put in MY 30 amp outlet,,, I wired it for 20 amps at 120 volts... Did I screw up.. YES, there were two existing circuits in the area and had I chosen the other one it would have been a full 30.