Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rewire Supplementary Cooling Fans

Puzzled: Previous owner mounted a bank of three 3- inch muffin fans at the top of the cooling unit on my Dometic 1292. Refrigerator unit has been running ok, but the fans have been making increasing noise, and the wiring is a rats nest (pic). So I decided to R/R the fans and clean up the wiring. [sorry, I pulled the fans before I thought to get a picture.]

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465606056.390536.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  114.9 KB

PO wired the fans such that 1 fan is wired direct through a simple switch. He left it constant on and I have done the same, but this fan died a while back. The other two are wired through a thermal switch strapped to the tube near the top of the riser, so they cycle. (Pic- rough, hand drawn)

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465607012.423270.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  102.0 KB

Question: does this wiring arrangement make sense? I can readily see what he set up, but my question is 1) why?; and 2) should I duplicate it, or set all 3 new fans to cycle? Additional point: the old fans were 3 inch. The new fans are 4.5 inch. If I install the three new I will double the fan area. Could that be too much cooling? If I install two new fans it will be a 50% increase.

Thanks for the assistance!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #2

JMHO: two 4.5" fans will be good, , wired through the thermal switch for both.
The extra air flow is required as outside temps get over 90 as the RV fridge will struggle to keep cold as temps near 100. At those temps , you'll have air conditioners running so the fan noise won't be heard.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have room for the three fans, I would go for it. The more air flow over the condenser coils on the absorption fridges the better the unit will cool. As said, hooking all to the temp switch should also be fine. Just my $0.02 and others will vary.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:58 AM   #4

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/what-...ml#post3071240

My thought process is "Overkill is the sure cure of paranoia!" so when I replaced my rotten reefer roof cap, I also added fans to help cool the coils. They are 12 volt wired in series so they turn slow and quiet when the reefer is on.

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, fan