RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

Roof A/C unit

I have two roof, ducted 14.5 BTU A/C units, they've been working great for 10 desert summers now. This morning I turned on one unit, it ran for about a hour, I heard it bog down, I quickly looked at my power management display for current draw. I saw a 34A draw and the generator quit. If I try to restarti the A/C unit, the fan comes on, sounds fine, then when the compressor kicks on I hear a low growl and high current draw for several seconds then it dies. I believe the compressor is on it's last legs and may be crapping out.

Any A/C experts out there that may be able to shed light on my problem?

Thanks for your time.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #2

I experienced a problem like this when I first purchased the RV. The PTAC hard start capacitor shorted on and it was stuck on. I replaced it and the unit worked as normal. I would look st / clean the condensing coil to make sure it is clean. If it is dirty / clogged it will increase the compressor current draw.

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #3

I would say it's the compressor gone south on you. Mine did the same thing you are describing, except I was not using the generator, but when the compressor would try and kick in, the amp draw would skyrocket. I had a RV tech check it out and he said compressor was bad.Ordered a new one from PPL and me and the better half replaced it.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #4

Mark, did you replace the compressor or the entire A/C unit?

Old 06-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #5

SpyderRV, yea I thought of the starting cap but it starts and runs fine, after an hour or so, it dies. I will clean it if needed but I'd be surprised if that's it.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
You will need to replace the complete unit. I would recommend against trying to replace only the compressor.

Installing a complete ac unit is not a difficult job. Especially with 2 people. The hardest part is to lower the old unit off the roof and raising the new unit up to the roof.

Bob
ky bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #7

SpyderRV, after giving my response some thought, I may have come across as a wise ass, not my intention.

My A/C knowledge consists of two data points. 1. I know the start cap is used to start the compressor. 2. When I turn the thermostat down, it gets colder. :-)

To point 1, does it do something other than start the compressor? Is it used during the running/compressing cycle for another function? I replaced the starting cap in the other unit several years ago because it wouldn't start. I'd much rather spend 15-20 bucks for a cap rather than a grand to replace the A/C unit.

Thanks for your time.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #8

After Googling, I'm more confused. I searched for Coleman run capacitor and I'm running in to "start/run capacitors" Are these two separate units or all in one. If it's one unit I'm ordering this from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Device-Packag.../dp/B004RCOW5Q

Thanks again for any input and your time.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
I replaced the entire unit with a 15000 btu with heat pump, from ppl .
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #10
Dom

The start and run capacitors are separate units, Not all a/cs have start capacitors. It would be worth it to replace run capacitor and install a solid state hard start capacitor, if you don't have any way of checking capacitors. Also the run capacitor can quit working properly once it gets hot
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #11

Dom, I'll replace both. It does seem to fail when it gets hot, the ambient temperature here now is 113F, it was 100F when it failed this morning.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #12
Dom

It may not fix problem but it is cheaper that replacing a/c or calling for mobile service to tell you, you need to replace a/c. Also make sure you wash out condenser with water hose
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #13

Here is a little more generic information based on what my units have. There are two capacitors. One is a combination unit and it has 3 terminals labeled C, F, and Herm. C is common, F goes to the Fan and Herm goes to the compressor. This is a “Run” capacitor and if it has issues, you will have either fan or compressor issues. The other capacitor just has 2 terminals and it is the “Start” capacitor for the compressor. If fan is fine but compressor won’t start, this might be the problem but not 100% of the time because the compressor could have other issues. When replacing capacitors, stick to voltage ratings and capacitance values. I know there is a pretty small window, maybe plus or minus 5% for capacitance. So far as my units go, I don’t think there is a “Start” capacitor for the fan. There is a lot more info out there on this forum but in my reading, I hear lots of folks have had to replace capacitors (myself included) and some folks carry spares.

pbpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof