Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #1

Roof air fan won't start

On my penguin II roof air, when I turn it on the fan want start. So I took the shroud off and I could freely turn the fan with my hand and it would spin up and blow as it should, just want start on it's own. My question is does it have a bad motor, or could it be something else?

mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #2

Visit the " Files " drop box ; heating and air conditioning section; and download the " Duo Therm CCC file .
It has a diagnostic flow chart that will guide you through fixing your roof air.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

Likely a bad start capacitor. Mine has two - one for the compressor and one for the fan and my fan start capacitor went bad several years ago. Replaced it myself, but one must understand the capacitors are high voltange, so dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Googling how to do it would help there, or call a tech.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #4

roof air fan won't start

I know on my fantastic fan it did the same.I was told the ground wire was on the roof and was not making contact.I was told I needed a new one.I crawled up top and sure enough it was loose.Maybe it is a similar fix.Hope it helps.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #5

Today I took the start capacitor from the rear unit and put it on the front ac that I have the problem with, and it worked perfectly. Ordered a new capacitor from amazon will put it on when I get it. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
Today I took the start capacitor from the rear unit and put it on the front ac that I have the problem with, and it worked perfectly. Ordered a new capacitor from amazon will put it on when I get it. Thanks for the help everyone.
Most Excellent! Congrats on becoming an HVAC expert! Probably saved a couple hundred bucks.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:13 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
The Penguin II has 2 capacitors - a silver one and a black one. Which one are you calling the start capacitor? The reason I ask is I am having the exact same problem with my Penguin II.

Also, did you discharge the capacitor before you removed it? If so, how?
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #8

The silver one was my problem, and yes I did discharge it. the cost was 15 bucks from amazon
Old 05-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #9
paz

That's the one I thought it would be because I think the black one is a hard start capacitor only for the compressor.

There are several models of the Penguin II. Unfortunately, the silver capacitor for our model isn't available on Amazon - or much of anywhere else for that matter. I had to order it from an online RV supply who in turn had to special order it from Dometic.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, roof