Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #29

So your saying that all MH built on F-53 chassis are unstable if they have roof air? And if they have basement air they are okay. I just wonder why any of the MH builders built them that way. And if a MH don't have a diesel it is too unstable?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbeachbum View Post
So your saying that all MH built on F-53 chassis are unstable if they have roof air? And if they have basement air they are okay. I just wonder why any of the MH builders built them that way. And if a MH don't have a diesel it is too unstable?
I believe what Neil is saying is that adding weight to the roof of any motorhome can change the way it handles. Will it become unstable and a miserable thing to drive? Probably not but it may certainly handle differently now that it has the new weight on the roof.

My concern would be more about cutting new holes in the roof or taking up all the available roof vents. I believe most coach builders add some reinforcement in the roof structure where they intend to add vents and/or roof AC's. If a coach came with no roof AC's, I would not want holes cut in the roof without first consulting with the coach builder. Maybe the dealer has done that.

I certainly hope you get the cooling capacity you desire and that you have no problems going forward.

Safe travels.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
I am currently having my basement air worked on. The unit has had 3 #1 compressors replaced (one at Winnebago and one at a Workhorse facility) I found a guy in Shipshewana Indiana and he explained a lot of things to me on why the #2 and #3 replacements may have failed. He also mentioned that although Coleman (Airexcel) doesnt make basement AC/Heat Pump units anymore they do still have parts for it. Our previous coach had basement air and we loved it. Sleeping over the top of the unit never really bothered us and the heat pump worked great down to about 40 degrees. We also carry air filters (buy the cheap ones as they do not restrict the airflow) and check them often. We have friends that have a coach with roof air/heat pump and when they went out west with the 100+ degree heat they could not adequately cool the coach and they suffered. Our present coach is 3 feet longer than our last coach. When we had a problem with the basement air last year we bought a portable AC (12,000 btu) at Home depot. If we are going somewhere where we suspect it will be 90+ degrees in the summer we will bring the portable and we will be able to cool meat in the coach .
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #32

Quote:
It won't be as nice. You will change the dynamics. The biggest complaint most gas coach drivers have is sway and body roll which will only be made worse by shifting weight up higher. Some will tell you that they sincerely feel that most gas coaches are too unstable and the best cure for a white knuckled gas coach ride is to get a diesel pusher.

Personally I find my Adventurer adequate as it sits however I would not want to change the dynamics and make it any more top heavy than it already is. Seeing all the gyrations people go through trying to make a gas coach handle as adequately as I feel mine already does, changing sway bars, added tracking bars, changing suspension geometries, playing GoldieLocks with various shock absorbers, air bags, Henderson springs, etc makes me resistant to messing up the beauty of what I have.

Now will you find the coach too much to handle after the mod? Maybe yes and maybe no or possibly not until after the first ride on a snake road or following the first emergency maneuver or first gusty day. Some people will get on the highway and hate it so badly that they will immediately pull off refusing to drive it any further. Some hate the handling of their gas coaches so much that they complain of terrible body aches and pains from the stress of driving them.

Hang around long enough and you will see all of this and more especially from folks expecting a limousine coffee cup ride from a gas coach.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #33

Got it back today. Drove it home in the Houston traffic FUN FUN FUN . I could tell no difference in the way it drove at all. I really could tell the difference in the way it cooled. Was showing 104 inside and outside was 99 when we picked it up. Ran genny and it cooled down to 75 front to rear.. Got on Ferry and had to shut everything down and it stayed cool till about half way across. I think they did a very good job.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Got it back today. Drove it home in the Houston traffic FUN FUN FUN . I could tell no difference in the way it drove at all. I really could tell the difference in the way it cooled. Was showing 104 inside and outside was 99 when we picked it up. Ran genny and it cooled down to 75 front to rear.. Got on Ferry and had to shut everything down and it stayed cool till about half way across. I think they did a very good job.

Still exercise caution as you test out the new limits on curves, unlevel ground and emergency maneuvers. You can't escape physics and don't want to find out a key difference at a really inopportune time.

The green folks would really be after you on that 75 degrees.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I much prefer rooftops. I've had three Winnies, all with basement air, and now an Allegro Bus with three ducted rooftops. This coach is much quieter, better insulated in the roof than the Winnies and that may be a reason I like it so much. The basement airs were always noisy under the bedroom when they cycled on and off. In a 40' Horizon with slides and full-body paint, the 24k BTU basement air just isn't adequate for the size of the coach. I ended up adding a supplemental rooftop air to keep cool enough on the hottest days. And yes, the rear box ducts were completely sealed and I had a compressor replaced and I personally cleaned the filters and lubricated the squirrel cage. I found while driving that the rooftop air was better than the basement air at keeping the front of the coach cool.

TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof