RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #1

Roof top ac units

hello all and thanks in advance for any and all help. i have a 86 holiday rambler 33 ft with 2 ac units on top. they both turn on and run but blows cool not cold i pulled the top off both units to see were i could recharge them but dont see a hook up is there a trick to this? thanks again also would anyone know were i could get a repair manual for the whole motor home?

Ilv2hnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #2

First thing I would try is to clean the coils. Go up on the roof and remove the shrouds and see if they are full of stuff like dirt and leaves. An air compressor will help clean them. You can also use a coil cleaner. Other than that, I would not spend anything further on them. Given the age of your unit and assuming the a/c units are original, you most likely will need to replace them both.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #3

I know that I had the same issues with my 87 Allegro and living in the PNW we don't get alot of hot weather. I waited until we had a day over 75 and then turned them on. Bingo they ran great. Not sure if yours are the same, but the outside temp has to be above the inside temp to get the cold to work. I verified this with the RV repairshop locally. So wait for a day that is warm and then try it again. If that doesn't work then they are shot.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #4

if they need to be replace were could i buy one?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Camping world or any Rv store that said does the compressor come on if not I would start with the capacitor
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilv2hnt View Post
they both turn on and run but blows cool not cold i pulled the top off both units to see were i could recharge them but dont see a hook up is there a trick to this?
The A/C units are sealed, similar to a household refrigerator.

I clean my a/c condenser with a high power spray wash once a year.
Got up to 95 degree's yesterday and measured 50 degree's at outlet, better then I expected for an RV unit.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Camping world or any Rv store that said does the compressor come on if not I would start with the capacitor
yes everything works on the unit and it blows cool not cold priced them out around 800 per unit i pulled the covers off and there extremly clean on the coils too bad you cant recharge theses babys
Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wait... I didn't previously know you had to have the thermostat turned on to get the Air to work...learned that here... you may be an old pro, but for newbies looking on, make sure your thermostat is set on and set to a lower temperature for the roof A/C to work. Apparently you can't just turn the Rooftop units on from the bottom inside of the units and get them to blow cold air...the fans come on but that is all...
Am I correct Old timers?
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
These are the correct first steps. First determine whether or not the compressor is operating by starting the unit with the thermostat set at highest setting and them moving the thermostat to cold. You should hear the compressor start. If you don't the start capacitor should be immediately suspect (it can be many other things but the start cap is a very common failure.) Low refrigerant OTOH is an uncommon problem.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a wall thermostat, yes it must be on and set to a lower temp thats inside.

The A/Cs with all controls on the unit itself. It of course must be on, set to Cool and the the warm/cool control must be set to a cooler/coldest setting to be sure you get cold air....it must be set cooler than the inside temp.... Just like any A/C.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #11

Agree 100 percent
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Did you actually clean the coils? Just looking at them will not determine if they are clean. They do make a coil cleaner that 'brightens' the coils, but a good wash out with a hose works..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #13

I'm having a similar issue with mine. A friend is coming over Saturday to run a few tests and show me a few things. I've gleaned some good undo from this thread so hopefully we can get it going. It worked last September but now only blows outside temperature air.

Had anybody here ever used a replacement unit from an RV salvage yard?
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With the evaporator coil clean and all of the air leaks fixed, fan on high speed, for 15 minutes, check the temperature at the A/C inlet and the outlet closest to the unit. The outlet should be 18 to 20 deg F cooler than the inlet. With this temperature difference, the unit is running the best it can.

There are no connections on a hermetically sealed unit and recharging it is not simple connect it to a can of refrigerant and open the valves.

Ken

Tags
roof