Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Question roof vent issue

well hello to all you rv,ers been awhile since i talked with you fine folks , i have a simple question my vent in the bathroom will crank up and crank down . however it does not crank down tight like it used too .i know someone over cranked it a stripped the gear in it . question is can you buy a new gear box for it or do you have to buy a whole new vent i know on the ol mobile home crank out windows you can replace the gear boxs on those .but these vents i dunno keep in mind this is a 1977 ford motorhome maybe the parts are no longer avalible .nothin leaks in this ol girl and i hate to replace that vent and start a leak not good winter is cummin on me hear in pennsylvania i need to adress this issue asap thanks for your time dave sr
mechanic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #2

I found such parts with an internet search once. I used general terms, tried several times, and finally it returned a website with what I needed. Here is the result of one search: RV Roof vent gearbox - Dogpile Web Search
I don't know if any results will be fruitful or not.
Update; within that very search I found a gearbox, covers, etc. http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/Order9-exhaust.html
Hope is is what you seek.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #3

Those parts are pretty universal and any RV dealer should have them on hand. Mostly the vent covers are replaced and they usually have a new gear/crank assy as part of the replacement if worst comes to worst.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #4

i know my motorhome is a older one . but i like it and my kids refuse to even hear about me selling it . however why in gods name is it so hard to find a losey roof vent gear box are you a member well no you got a part no. no what in the same heck is goin on i have a antenna on my

rv it works just fine one i don,t know who made it two they want you to buy new i don,t want new i just want to fix what i got . the gear needs replced is all it picks up better than my house antenna only thing is it takes my son and i to raise it were as it should just crank up i don,t want to replace it and cause a leak .this thing does not leak at all and its a 1977 model and i want to keep it that way. i can find parts for a 49 ford or a 31 buick but not for my motorhome not even a gosh darn vent gear box . off coarse if i wanted to spend 3 days on the internet i might find one i don,t have time for this. i have a shop to run very dissapointed need help dave
mechanic1 is offline   Reply With Quote