Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #1

Rooftop ac removal, cleaning and gasket replacement...with pictures.

As preventative maintenance, I decided to remove the rooftop ac, clean, inspect and replace with a new gasket. After watching a couple of online videos I proceeded to remove the interior portion. Mine is non-ducted. The interior portion was two knobs, two screws to remove the plastic panel, disconnect the romex (coach unplugged of course), and remove four long screws which hold the interior ducting and heat strip in.
Then to the roof where I removed the large plastic cover exposing the unit itself. I attempted to gently lift up on the unit but quickly found that the gasket was sealed to the rubber roof with what looked like dicor non-sag lap sealant. I used a few 2x4 blocks to lift slightly on the unit and used a putty knife to scrape gasket off the underside of the unit. With unit removed, I used a heat gun and putty knife to remove the old gasket and dicor from the rubber roof.
With the aid of a tractor bucket I was able to bring the unit to the ground, placed on jackstands and did a thorough cleaning and inspection. I used two cans of coil cleaner and a garden hose to clean both coils. One photo shows the two new foam supports to hold the unit the specified distance off the roof. A little wd40 to attempt to keep rust at bay and installed with a new gasket. The new gasket I put the sticky side down (against the roof) and placed the a/c on top with no added sealant...as per instruction. Also, attached is a mod that I copied to help hold the filters in place properly. Seems to work better as the factory design allows air around the filters letting dirty air into the evaporator.
I hope this helps if anyone is planning to do some of these steps to their unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3008.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	167683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3011.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	167684  

Name:	IMG_3012.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	167685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3017.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	167686  

Name:	IMG_3038.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	167687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3039.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	167688  

Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Community Moderator

nice! thinking to do mine too...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

Nice job .... I'm sure you'll see an improvement !!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

Nice project and great thinking on the preventative maintenance.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm looking to replace the gasket between the a/c unit and the shroud. Any body have a part number or source? I know my Dometic shoud part number is 00752, just can't seem to find the gasket part number to search and order it.

thanks.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I'm looking to replace the gasket between the a/c unit and the shroud. Any body have a part number or source? I know my Dometic shoud part number is 00752, just can't seem to find the gasket part number to search and order it.

thanks.
on our a/cs there is no gasket between the shroud and the frame. do you see the gasket on yours? what brand/model of the a/c unit? a photo might help.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Fugitive,
What is the approximate weight of the a/c unit?
I'm thinking of doing it soon; just curous if it is easy to take it down to ground.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Fugitive,
What is the approximate weight of the a/c unit?
I'm thinking of doing it soon; just curous if it is easy to take it down to ground.

I think the unit weighs about 80 lbs. The bulkiness makes it awkward to carry or move. Two people would make it much easier to move. I had the option and used a tractor loader to remove it from the roof level to the ground. I certainly would not try to carry it down the rear ladder or a step ladder. Try to keep it upright at all times.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3009[1].jpg
Views:	114
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	171332  
Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive861 View Post
I think the unit weighs about 80 lbs. The bulkiness makes it awkward to carry or move. Two people would make it much easier to move. I had the option and used a tractor loader to remove it from the roof level to the ground. I certainly would not try to carry it down the rear ladder or a step ladder. Try to keep it upright at all times.
thanks. that weight plus me would exceed the total capcity of the either ladder; certainly i wouldn't attempt to carry it down by myself. your tractor loader was handy :-).
Old 08-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Curious. Were You experiencing leakage around the gasket? Since cleaning the coils could be done on the roof, just wondering why you went to the major added labor of removing the unit?

I definitely like the chicken wire mod for the filters; great idea!
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Curious. Were You experiencing leakage around the gasket? Since cleaning the coils could be done on the roof, just wondering why you went to the major added labor of removing the unit?

I definitely like the chicken wire mod for the filters; great idea!

I chose to do this project for a couple of reasons. First, occasionally when turning on the unit a small amount black "substance" was coming out. I wasn't sure if it was a deteriorating gasket or what. Secondly, I had been told that if the gasket between the main unit and the top of the roof was the original gasket then replacing it would be a good idea as they tend to collapse and loose elasticity. Removing and inspecting the unit, I found the black substance to be thin layers of dirt adhering to the squirrel cage fan blades. With the unit removed from the rv, I was able to thoroughly rinse the fan and duct with the garden hose.

I admit the chicken wire was not my idea, but it does seem to work well.

Tags
replacement, removal, roof, replace, gas, ace